1/4 vs 1/2 hardware cloth for run?

Nov 30, 2021
I have read a lot of threads here and still am panicking as I am about to order more hardware cloth. I have used 1/4 inch in the coop windows and will along the roof as well. But I will have an attached run (auto door will let them in there every morning) and wondering if I should use 1/2" or 1/4"? I keep hearing that 1/4 gets dusty and you can't see through it well, but my main concern as I'm urban is that I do not want any rats to get in. I am not as worried about a mouse here or there as they are much easier to deal with. But the neighbour has a rotting house and in the fall there's always a couple rats that look for somewhere to hunker down for winter... I know they can squish into pretty small spaces but has anyone found that 1/2" is a problem?

(I'm in southern ontario, zone 6a if that helps. Run will be covered for winter and avian flu etc)

Thanks kindly for your answers!

For rats and most mice, 1/2" should be sufficient. Any mouse so tiny that it can fit through 1/2", the chickens will definitely eat them for you.
I think mice could probably easily fit through but not so worried about them. More worried about rats or bigger squirrels that like to chew things. (as well as the other big predators). I will order some 1/2 inch :)

thanks everyone! I'll use my 1/4 for the predator skirt/apron and the smaller windows etc.

Back
Top Bottom