1.5 yr old hen with swollen legs and feet

lkdeckar

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2022
Duchess, my Speckled Sussex, has always been on the small-side (she's at the bottom of the order). But a few days ago, my husband and I both noticed that BOTH of her legs and feet were very swollen. I brought her inside, soaked them in Epsom salt, and inspect for bumblefoot but didn't detect anything (other than a couple of places it looks like she's been pecked?). Anyway, I did a little research and am wondering if this is mycoplasma synoviae? And if so, how do I treat it? The thing is, she seems fine and I don't see any signs of it in my other hens.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• ChickenLegs.jpg
    ChickenLegs.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ChickenFootjpg.jpg
    ChickenFootjpg.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 8
It does resemble mycoplasma synoviae or MS, a contagious and chronic infection of the joints. I am not aure that any treatment would be successful, but the tetracycline drugs (oxytetracycline and doxycycline) are ones that have been used in the past. I would consult your vet for advice. Here is some reading:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry
Unfortunately there is no local vet. But even if I could get my hands on some antibiotics…you’re saying it probably won’t help? If that’s the case, what are my options? I don’t want her to be in pain.

Back
Top Bottom