1 older hen left

LovemyMTgirls

Hatching
Aug 25, 2022
I had 3 older hens, 5 1/2 years. We introduced new hens that are now 1 1/2. We purchased a new coop that was big enough for all 7, but the older hens never accepted the new flock. We kept both coops in hopes that it would work itself out, but it never did. They all free range together and never fought, but they remained two separate flocks. My problem is that we are now down to one older hen and she is now alone in her coop. Should I try putting her in the coop with the other hens or let her remain on her own. She seems lonely....😥

She does, but keeps to herself. My worry is when winter hits and they spend more time in the coops, she will be lonely.
Because she is older and hasn't been able to successfully integrate her with the others, I think it'd be better to aim for lower stress and let her stay by herself if that's her preference, rather than trying to force the issue. Even with flock/social animals, not all of them will get along with others. If she can see and hear the others, that still provides her with some companionship.

I have an older hen that ended up being the only one left in her coop. She stayed by herself for some time. She roamed with the other hens from the other coops that share the same yard during the day but went to her coop at night. Eventually she decided to move in to another coop with 6 more hens and that's where she's been ever since. I was very surprised about this because she's always been at the bottom of the pecking order and frightens very easily. I believe that took courage to do. Who knows, maybe your hen will do the same. They are so unpredictable 😔

I had 3 older hens, 5 1/2 years. We introduced new hens that are now 1 1/2. We purchased a new coop that was big enough for all 7, but the older hens never accepted the new flock. We kept both coops in hopes that it would work itself out, but it never did. They all free range together and never fought, but they remained two separate flocks. My problem is that we are now down to one older hen and she is now alone in her coop. Should I try putting her in the coop with the other hens or let her remain on her own. She seems lonely....😥
Doesn’t sound like she’ll do well with the other hens. Usually older hens do best with a one on one situation. Maybe you can find her a buddy, possibly a rescue older hen? Of course this would require quarantining and introducing them at some point with no guarantee of the outcome. Good luck😊

Doesn’t sound like she’ll do well with the other hens. Usually older hens do best with a one on one situation. Maybe you can find her a buddy, possibly a rescue older hen? Of course this would require quarantining and introducing them at some point with no guarantee of the outcome. Good luck😊
Oh and welcome to BYC.😊
Thank you! ❤️

How's she doing? I'm in the same situation. Just wondering how she is.

This is a very helpful post, thanks for starting, and contributors.

I too have a hen who is alone, and a larger flock (2 subflocks—3 roosters, 16 hens).

I want to keep things as similar as I can, and love that in one case the chickens worked it out on their own, and knowing that just seeing others can be enough for now.

Trying to figure out a way they can free range together during the day. Involves fencing modifications.

Thsnks again!

Back
Top Bottom