1 sq. foot per bird for chicken coop in a cold climate?

EileneBob

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Hi everyone, thanks for this forum! I am a newbie, and I posted this on the newbie side, but thought I would cross-post it here - I'm a little short on time to affect the Denver, CO ordinance for backyard chickens.

Denver, CO has an Urban Farm Animals (chickens, ducks, dwarf goats) bill pending that will probably pass. But having grown up in Iowa, the specifications for the coop size seem very small, but I will admit I haven't been in a chicken coop since I was 14.

The ordinance specifies only 1 sq. foot per bird for coop/shelter space. What do you all think of that? Denver, while having lots of sunny days, can be pretty cold for stretches at a time, so the birds would be inside all smushed together during cold days. It doesn't seem like enough room for them to stretch their wings, much less do the flapping thing, without starting fights. There is also no mention of a minimum height, so presumably, they can make a coop that is only 12" off the ground.

My search around the internet suggests 4 ft sq. most often (Humane Society, bird sanctuaries), with a couple of sites saying 'at least 2-3 feet', and one says 2 feet. To me, 2 feet still seems small, so thought I would post the question on the most knowledgeable forum I could find. Any thoughts on square footage per bird or height?

Most people here abide by the 4 sq. feet per bird rule, then the run should be 10 sq feet/bird if you can swing it. Great job questioning the standards and good luck with your flock!

You will find that most on here will suggest at least 4 sq ft of floor space per bird, and that doesn't count nesting boxes. Plus you want a roost up off the ground with enough space and head room. You probably will be most happy if you go with the idea that bigger is better.

Greetings and
welcome-byc.gif

I'm pretty new here but have been reading just about anything and everything in preparation for getting some girls this summer.

I've heard from 2-4 sq feet /bird on here, but the vast majority of folks seem to agree that 4sq feet of floor space or more is better.

I know I'm planning on 10-12 birds and am opting for more space rather than less. I want them to have ample room. In fact I'm planning a 10x12 coop, with a partition so I can close off part of it in summer when they will have access to outdoors (and reduce my cleaning area) and then allow them access to more room during the winter when the weather is too miserable to be out in, which will also leave me plenty of room for future expansion since it seems apparent that at some point I'll want to add to my flock.

Good luck.

We have had 6 to 7 birds in an 8 square foot doghouse for over a year now. They free range completely during the day and use the coop at night and to lay eggs. I think the square foot rule of thumb is only really applicable if they are kept in it most of the time. They had a bigger coop but we converted it to a bantam coop for my daughter's show birds because it was going to waste. When given a choice our chickens won't use it. We rigged a tarp under the cedar tree because thats where they were going in bad weather anyway. I know a lot of places you can't just have 100% free range birds but our daytime predator risks are low. The AFB keeps most of the birds of prey away because of the planes and their yard is double fenced and covered by a cedar and maple tree. Dogs would have to jump 2 fences and birds of prey would have to swoop through the tree canopy. You just really have to figure out how your birds will be living and go from there. Personally I don't think they need 4 feet of coop per bird if they are only in it to sleep. Our chickens have never had a problem with fights or anything else. We lock them up at night and they are all asleep shoulder to shoulder on the perch and thats where they are when we unlock them in the morning. We do have to clean the bedding every weekend though.

I think that the 4 sq. ft. per bird in side coop rule assumes that they have an attached run. If no run, or they are completely "inside" for extended periods, you will probably want to go singificantly more coop space (think I read somewhere 10 sq. ft. per bird for a totally enclosed coop w/ no run).

Maybe the Denver ordinance number is a "minimum space" type number, and you can build your coop bigger than that if you want to (??).

I would think 1-2 sq ft per bird if they were in the coop to sleep only. Or if they were bantams. And only if they all get along very well. I do have 4 almost grown Red Stars that will squeeze into a 1 sq ft nest box together. So that would be 4 chickens per sq ft.

I think in Denver they would be inside a lot more and would need the higher range of 2-4 sq ft per bird. I have a coop with just under 3 sq ft per bird and they do fine. But they have a 40 sq foot run and 1/2 acre to free range on 90% of the daytime. Gotta love Florida weather!

Plus, if you build bigger, you will have room for the chickens you will add later. Because you will add chickens later. Ask anyone.

Yes - the Denver ordinance is 'minimum space' number - and we are fighting for the larger space mostly to force people to pause and think about what they are doing. As the dogs and cats people have found out, there are too many people in the world who will think "oh, isn't a puppy / kitten / chick cute", then abandon them in a short amount of time when they really figure out how much work it is day after day after day.

I'm just grateful that this year, the ordinance will take place AFTER Easter
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom