1 week old chick with pasty butt... So scared!!

Treats such as vegetable (NOT POTATOES, THEY ARE TOXIC. Even if edible treats are in the same container or cut with the same knife)
Fruit (apples, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon are popular favorites)
Sugar FREE yogurt
And mealworms are all good treats.
Make sure they all treats are in bite size pieces and check that they can eat if before feeding. Good luck!
I'll definitely be giving them treats from now on :D

Yeah, us humans can only do so much to replicate what a mother hen would do. Chicks don't have pasty bum when naturally brooded, but with us it's different. And like Abriana said, it's not a huge sickness and you don't need to fear too much. As long as you check her regularly and clean her bum when she needs, she'll be fine.
Also, to help her get more human friendly you can feed treats out of your hand, sing or hum to them, or hold them. However, be careful with holding. If you stress them out, it won't help. Try to do things inside of the brooder so they don't get so freaked out about a disembodied hand reaching in and taking them from everything they know (from the chick's point of view). :)
I always sing to them when I hold them. What should I do inside the brooder to get her used to me? The others don't mind me

I always sing to them when I hold them. What should I do inside the brooder to get her used to me? The others don't mind me
You could feed treats, and one of my chicks' favorite is simply wet food. They love wett food! Also, what I meant by things in the brooder was more of don't take them away from the brooder too much unless they're all together, because it would be really stressful and they'd get scared.

You could feed treats, and one of my chicks' favorite is simply wet food. They love wett food! Also, what I meant by things in the brooder was more of don't take them away from the brooder too much unless they're all together, because it would be really stressful and they'd get scared.
I tend to hold them at least two at a time. They like to snuggle up under my hair like my hair is a momma chicken :)

They have lots of space. Their brooder is a 4'x2' stock tank and there are only 6 chicks. They roam the entire tank, so temperature should be fine.

She panicks when I handle her. Could that be the cause?
Those things can actually hold in quite a lot of heat. Only one small area needs to be warmed. The rest of the brooder should be room temp. If you are brooding inside your house, a full strength heat bulb will be way too much for them.

I tend to hold them at least two at a time. They like to snuggle up under my hair like my hair is a momma chicken :)
So, I took them all out at once for playtime on my bed and they all wanted to pile on me :) Morty wasn't afraid at all

Attachments

• D97B43E0-4916-45EF-9069-44966DDEDE2C.jpeg
    D97B43E0-4916-45EF-9069-44966DDEDE2C.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 9
I usually don’t use metal brooder, (heat conductor) I used a giant box, it seems like I can control the temp better. I never had pasty butt except one time when I brood chicks in a Rubbermaid container.

One other little hint....after you get her cleaned off (and it may take more than once) dab just a teeny bit of coconut oil, olive oil, or even Vaseline on the down around her little hiney. Not much...you don’t want to have bedding sticking to her or getting the area so greasy that it makes a darker ring there that the other chicks might peck at. It won’t “cure” pasty butt, but it helps keep poop from sticking to that fuzz quite as badly and that makes them more comfortable while it slows or prevents buildup. Remember too that just the cleaning can irritate that sensitive baby skin, so that little bit of oil is soothing.

Back
Top Bottom