1 yo hen wet sucking sound

8isGreat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Hi. I have 2 RIRs One is making a wet sucking sound. I can't tell if it's coming from nose or throat. She breathes normally most of the time, but every once in a while she makes this gurgling wet noise. Any idea what she has? Should I quarantine her? I have the 2 1-yo RIR, 6 22-week old Red Stars and a 1-yo Buff Orpington roo. I bought some medicated crumbles for respiratory infection today to feed the whole flock. Is that good for prevention?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Medicated crumbles is NOT what you want--that is a feed for young chicks, has amprolium which if for cocci resistance. If you feed that, you will need to throw out all their eggs for as long as you feed, and two weeks after (does nothing for respiratory infection). I would bring her in for the night, keep her in a warm, dark quiet spot, and give her a really good look-over in the morning. You will be looking for any injuries, overall health, any discharge from eyes or beak, coughing, sneezing, odd smell, etc...and post back here with anything you find in the morning. It may just be a temporary crop issue, that hopefully resolves itself. Make sure the crop goes down overnight.

I've been feeding this to my hens for two days now. I've also mixed it into 30 lbs of feed.
So, I should throw away all eggs collected the past few days? And throw away all the eggs produced for the next 2 weeks? I sure wish that I'd have checked here before I fed it to my hens!
sad.png

Thank you!

OK, I just got the bag of crumbles. It is called Aureomycin. It says it is for chickens, not chicks. It is to prevent CRD and air sac infection caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli susceptible to Chlortetracycline - this is the active main ingredient. Other ingredients listed are roughage products, processed grain by-products, forage products, magnesium mica, calcium carbonate, cane molasses, vegetable oil and sodium bentonite. Please let me know if this is the same thing you are thinking it is. I really would like to know if I should toss my eggs. I will also post on the main board, in case you are not available to reply soon. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom