10 Baby Wood Ducks (1st thought they were Mallards)

Pics
They are so adorable..:frow
Here when rehabs release Birds, they take them far from home base so they have to fend for themselves without the possibility of them returning.
Not sure if your willing to do that though?

That's a tough one. I live on an island surrounded by salt water, so there's nothing "far away." The best I can do is 3'ish miles, and it might be less as a crow flies. The bad part is that I don't live out in the country, so to speak, and the babies pace back and forth to get back into the pen, even the 1st one that returned when no other ducks were inside. Also, my neighbor stopped by yesterday -- about 2 houses away -- and she showed me a picture of a fox that she saw in her backyard just yesterday. Four-legged and two-legged predators are very common. (Woman up the street lost her flock again and again because she wouldn't pen her chickens.) I have to stand guard if I let my chickens out of their pens. So, that being said, leaving the babies out of the pen would have invited a hawk attack, at the very least. <sigh>

That's a tough one. I live on an island surrounded by salt water, so there's nothing "far away." The best I can do is 3'ish miles, and it might be less as a crow flies. The bad part is that I don't live out in the country, so to speak, and the babies pace back and forth to get back into the pen, even the 1st one that returned when no other ducks were inside. Also, my neighbor stopped by yesterday -- about 2 houses away -- and she showed me a picture of a fox that she saw in her backyard just yesterday. Four-legged and two-legged predators are very common. (Woman up the street lost her flock again and again because she wouldn't pen her chickens.) I have to stand guard if I let my chickens out of their pens. So, that being said, leaving the babies out of the pen would have invited a hawk attack, at the very least. <sigh>
Awwww. Well I'd try the furthest place with fresh water and they know how to fly. It's definitely difficult knowing they are vulnerable although I know you wanted them to be free. Predators are everywhere so it's just the way of nature. They are just doing what they know but will become wild if your home isn't so close.

Back
Top Bottom