10 Baby Wood Ducks (1st thought they were Mallards)

Pics
In early October, my DH built a raised corner box in the covered run for the ducks. It was placed right behind their favorite roost. After installing it, the ducks wouldn't go near it. It was obviously a huge, big ol' monster that was going to devour them. Fast forward almost 3 months later, and this morning is the FIRST time I've seen them return to their favorite perch, corner box be damned.

20191006_125830.jpg

Before the corner box was installed. They prefer roosting high.

20191006_102611.jpg

Once breeding gets under way I bet they will be checking that box out.

I'd close it in more and put a lip in front to keep eggs from being rolled out and bedding in. You know how wood duck houses look like so being a little more closed in but still open enough you can get in there and clean it out might make them like it better. That is a beautiful work your dh did.

I have 2 pieces of wood in the basement specially sized so we can close it up more, and then I can add a lip to it. I never added those pieces because they avoided the box and roost like the plague ... 'til today.

I know I'll probably get eggs. Not planning on having any hatch. Do you think they're edible? Hmm ...

I have 2 pieces of wood in the basement specially sized so we can close it up more, and then I can add a lip to it. I never added those pieces because they avoided the box and roost like
I know I'll probably get eggs. Not planning on having any hatch. Do you think they're edible? Hmm ...
I see no problem eating them, they will be small we eat out bantam chicken eggs.

So, my original coop has a chicken door with ramp, a large access door, and another access door that opens to the outside run, which is where I am standing. After the babies have had some fun in the outside run -- swimming, munching on tasty things, and waddling around, they often do this -- plant themselves on the nice bedding looking off to coop #2 and "inside" play yards.
20191227_140945.jpg

Back
Top Bottom