10 day old chick pooping out sides of vent

im no expert (obviously) but if you are still worried about her laying eggs it might just be a bit of stretched skin like you mentioned before and when she lays her first egg it might break off...?
just some things you might want to think about;
- is she showing signs of stress/ pain?
- are other birds picking on her?
- does she pick at it (1) never (2) hardly (3) sometimes (4) often (5) all the time?

( if worse comes to worse, there is nothing wrong with bringing her to a vet.)

I hope all goes well!!!!!!!
smile.png

Does not seem stressed or in pain. She was the best early growing chick, and has the best, longest feathers. Except for her tush.

She only seems to get pecked a little if I put ointment of some kind on her, and then only a little.

She pecks at her own bottom occasionally, if I put ointment on it, or she is wet from soakings.

Today, I checked her and she is missing a few feathers back there. She was bare when we bought her, but her feathers were growing in. Now a few are gone again, which means she or someone else, pulled them out. Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your thoughts bbchickies!

It is good that her feathers are growing. There might not be anything wrong- lets hope. When she hatched she might have just hatched strangely. It seems there might be an inner layer of stretched skin and that is whats causing the poop to come out through the vent strangely. Good luck with her! -bbchickies

I agree that I would wait and see how it goes...there are a few things you can put on a chicken to deter pecking as well.

Just a thought. If you are putting vasoline via q-tip in her vent 'before' you apply the Prep H, then she isn't getting the medicine since the vasoline coats the skin and creates a barrier. I would do the opposite and put the Prep H in/on her with the q-tip and then smooth the vasoline on her outside.

Back
Top Bottom