10 Day Old "Runt"

AmCo540

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
On day ten with my first batch of babies. One of the girls seems to be developing slower than the rest...noticeably smaller and different wing growth. She can walk and I've been able to observe her drinking. I don't see any signs of aggression or bullying from the other seven. I've separated her and offered food on her own, but she just doesn't seem to have the same interest as the others. Is it too early to try the hard boiled egg or grit? Or any other suggestions?

Last edited:
First of all, she would do much better if back with the other chicks. She's more apt to eat and compete for food when part of a flock. If it's obvious she is sick with something the others might come down with if exposed for too long, then remove her.

Some chicks hit a wall as far as eating, and they quickly fall behind, both in growth and energy. It happens very quickly that they also lose the strength to eat, further accelerating the downhill trajectory. So you need to get some nutrients into this chick ASAP.

If she isn't eating well, try moistening the crumbles. If that doesn't work, try crumbled tofu.

Most important, get some Poultry Nutri-drench and sprinkle in on the food. Go ahead an let all the chicks eat this. It will encourage the small one to get in there and get some too. It's very heart warming to see a small, weak chick suddenly gaining strength and running atop the others in her zeal for her share of the food.

Very important - watch the poop! One reason chicks fall behind is because they may be becoming constipated. If your small one isn't pooping like the others, get some olive oil into it before it becomes completely stuck.

I also have one that is lagging behind its 9 siblings. I call her psycho chick (although now I am think she might be a he) When psycho chick first hatched, a piece of cord dried around her leg and I didn't notice it until the next day. Once I clipped it, she could walk and stand fine, but she started throwing fits, would roll over on her back, and scratch the crap out of the back of her own neck. It was raw! So I separated her, gave her electrolytes and vitamins, and some higher protein feed that I had for my ducks. After a couple days alone, I moved one other chick in with her (one that didn't peck her wound like the others did) so she would have a friend and bunkmate. I was finally able to move both of them back in with the rest, as her wound is healing nicely, but she was so noticeably smaller, I knew she needed to be with the rest. She eats like a pig now (actually seems to eat more than the others!), drinks well, poops well. But she is still much smaller. Can she actually catch up or will she just stay a runt? I'm just glad s/he survived.

ETA - 10 days old today, lavender orpingtons.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. I put her back in with the others once I observed her individually. My husband confirmed she's eating and drinking. I'm keeping an eye on 'Bitty' and have the olive oil at the ready. I'll be going to get the supplement once the stores are open tomorrow.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, we lost the little one. I think I may have noticed the warning signs too late to be able to rebound. An unfortunate lesson with my new flock, but we still have 7 girls who are going strong...playing Queen of the Brooder and growing their big girl feathers!

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, we lost the little one. I think I may have noticed the warning signs too late to be able to rebound. An unfortunate lesson with my new flock, but we still have 7 girls who are going strong...playing Queen of the Brooder and growing their big girl feathers!

Sorry for your loss, but glad the others are doing well. Unfortunately its just one of those things we can't control.

My little psycho chick is doing great now, still alot smaller though. But they accept her.

Back
Top Bottom