10 Egg Pound Cake

Wrap the cake well once it is completely cold. Take it home and pop it in the freezer until the night before you need it. Take it out and put it on a cake plate and let it thaw in a coolish place, not too warm, you don't want a damp cake from it sweating. Tra la la! Beautiful cake for work. Also, that morning you can dust it with powder sugar or drizzle a thin icing of lemon extract and powdered sugar to drip over the cake.

I think I am going to make this for Christmas eve desert. I can easily make my wine spiced pears to go on top.... so holidayish.
tongue.png

Quote:
Thank-you, MissPrissy.

I'd like some more advise/ideas. If I were making this for myself, I'd love the lemon glaze idea. Seeing I'm planning on making this for a Christmas pot luck I'd like to give it a Christmasy look, and lemon glaze just doesn't look Christmasy.

Believe it or not, only 1 person were I work has ever even heard of pound cake! I got some strange looks when I said what I was bringing! We are talking Midwesterners here. Scandinavians that are used to......let's say.....simple foods. I'm not so sure the rum flavoring will go over well. Its like giving new foods to a preteen that's used to eating only store bought pizza. What, if any, substitute should I use instead of the rum flavoring?

Well, this is what I was thinking, and I don't know if it would work or not, so tell me what you think. If you have some other ideas, I'd be happy to get the ideas.

I know they all like that canned cherry pie filling. Its red, which will work for the Christmas look. Would it work or be corny if I put that canned stuff in the blender and whipped it smooth and used it poured across the top? Would it be too thick? Would I have to thin it out with something or would something else work better to achieve the Christmas look? Then there's the flavoring blending with the topping issue.

Too many questions. Help me out, guys.

Believe it or not, only 1 person were I work has ever even heard of pound cake! I got some strange looks when I said what I was bringing! We are talking Midwesterners here. Scandinavians that are used to......let's say.....simple foods. I'm not so sure the rum flavoring will go over well. Its like giving new foods to a preteen that's used to eating only store bought pizza. What, if any, substitute should I use instead of the rum flavoring?

I used extra vanilla and skipped the rum myself. It is a lovely cake. Be sure that you grease and flour the pan all the way up to the top-this cake is BIG. You may also want to have another pan at the ready-it made allot of batter and it made two.

I would make the cake as it is with lemon drizzel icing and use a lovely faux poinsettia or holly as decoration.

For people who have never had pound cake and you serve it with canned cherry filling they may never want another piece of pound cake in their life. IN fact, the idea, is off putting to me. No offense.

Lemon is, and other citrus are, indeed, "Christmasy".

Knock them out with perfection. Trying to over do it to impress usually ruins a perfect baked good.

You can't beat a good pound cake any time of the year.

Quote:
Personally, I prefer pound cake plain, without any kind of topping or glaze, definitely NOT pie filling on it. Because pound cake itself is sooooooooooo very delicious, I don't think it needs anything added to it. But that just may be me, the person who like her NY style cheesecake completely plain too.
wink.png

I think I'm going to make the chocolate one for our Christmas Eve family feast. I will dust it with confectioners sugar though.

Hope yours turns out wonderful, Andi!

Robin'sBrood :

Quote:
Personally, I prefer pound cake plain, without any kind of topping or glaze, definitely NOT pie filling on it. Because pound cake itself is sooooooooooo very delicious, I don't think it needs anything added to it. But that just may be me, the person who like her NY style cheesecake completely plain too.
wink.png

\\

i agree and being that i made this same pound cake i can attest to it being delicious on its own.​

Back
Top Bottom