10 Gallon aquarium- convert to incubator?

but if you filled the bottom with water would it not be to high of humidity? I have 3 tanks and I know I have a 4th somewhere but they are going to wast, what better way than to hatch more chicks.

What about if you just used a 60 wat light bulp? would that produce enough heat? or 100wat?

You can adjust the humidity by having more or less ventilation. If you still have trouble getting the humidity down, then just try hatching ducks
big_smile.png

Quote:
No!!! I have too many chickens as it is, so I better stay away from the sweet little fuzzy ducklings... *LALALA I can't hear you!* Besides, they take FOUR weeks to hatch, so I can hatch more chicks in less time LOL
big_smile.png

which means ducks might slow down the increase of your flock. See they are a good idea.
tongue.png

Quote:
Once again- *LALALA* I can't hear you! But really, you have a good point there...
tongue.png

Last edited:
The other option is to move to Colorado. I AM trying to hatch ducks and I am having a heck of a time keeping the humidity level high enough
big_smile.png

ro.netcmarie :

I currently have a 10 gallon bator up and running with duck eggs in it. This is what i seen on a web site and did, but if anybody as any other ways, let us know.
Here goes------ I put a damp towel on the bottom, then a wire rack (like from a little toaster oven) on top. I have a humidity/temperature gauge that I got from Wal-Mart. I put it right next to the eggs. I have a clip on desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb in it. I set it up for 2 days getting everything stable. So I put Saran wrap on top, and around the lamp so it will stay stable. This has worked for me, I have candled every week, and have growing duckies!!!! they are due to hatch March 3-4. Hope this helps and good luck. Like I said if anyone has any other great suggestions on the way I set mine up please let me know.

just wondering if you had luck with your hatch?​

I have a huge aquarium - I don't know how many gallons it is, but it's about 4 feet long . I use it as my chick brooder and it holds about 35 chicks easily for a couple of weeks.

20345_img_0633.jpg

that looks pretty good! i have a 37 gallon tall i want to use for my brooder...but first i want to use the ten gallon as an incubator. seems like folks do have ok luck with doing so, but i'd love to hear more about their outcomes.

The very first time I incubated eggs, I used a 20 gallon aquarium. I wrapped foil around the outside, had a small fan on the inside sitting
on the floor to circulate the air, and had 2 60 watt light bulbs in the aquarium hood for heat. I did have to put saran wrap over the
openings on the hood to keep the heat in. I used styrofoam blocks to hold the eggs, just dug some shallow holes with a spoon.
I used an aquarium glass thermometer that attached to the side of the aquarium with a suction cup to check temperatures. Just had
the end of it down about the top of the eggs.
Being a newbie at that time, I didn't think of the humidity. I did have chicks hatch in it.
I had it sitting in the living room and the temps were slightly hard to keep stable with everyone turning on the lamps on the table
where I had it sitting, plus the air conditioning was running.

Back
Top Bottom