10 mon Silkie savaged by rooster (pics)

Fowlfiends

Chirping
Aug 17, 2019
Hinterlands of Ohio
My Silkie girl, Sophie, is isolated in a cage because she had gotten a hard peck last week and I didn’t want the other chickens picking on the scab and making it worse. Unfortunately, one of the roosters got into the cage today - I suspect he wanted her food because I was a little late with the food this evening. He really did some damage before I got him out. I have cleaned her up as best I can and trimmed the surrounding feathers so they won’t get stuck in the wound, but it’s not pretty. Is there more I can do? I’m going to try to contact a local vet that treats chickens in the morning.

Attachments

• 04865566-DACC-4E66-A708-97248B03CC58.jpeg
    04865566-DACC-4E66-A708-97248B03CC58.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 21
I had a rooster that did that repeatedly to one hen, I finally got rid of him. Is Sophie full grown, she seems so small. Poor little thing...do you have some Vetericyn to help that wound heal?

Those types of wounds are common with young chicks or pullets who may be smaller than their flock mates, or who may have been pecked by a rooster.

Keep her separated while she is healing. Clean her wound twice a day with either Vetericyn or Theracyn or a similar wound spray from your feed store. Chlorhexidene or weak betadine are also good. Then twice a day after cleaning, apply a coat of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment to keep it from dripying out.

Many times these chickens heal from this. Occasionally they have brain or internal injuries, so the next few days will tell. Feed and water her several times a day, and let us know if she develops any neck problems, such as wry neck. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Sophie is on the small side; she’s one of four chicks I pulled from a bin of straight run bantams late last March. The rooster is 5 mos, Ameraucana/Barred Rock cross, from a clutch hatched by a broody in September. She already had a scabby wound from my Dominique hen who wasn’t thrilled when Sophie got into the wrong flock when my father let them out together a week ago. I will try the cleaning regimen suggested.

Sophie has now had her first cleaning with Veterycin and then had her wound dabbed carefully but thoroughly with plain neosporin. She was up and alert and not very thrilled with my fussing. I’ll make sure she gets a bit of scratch with her feed and grit as a treat for being a good girl.

If she is alert and eating, that is a great sign. Her chicken feed should be her primary food, but a tiny bit of scratch or some scrambled egg is good as a treat. Hoping that she recovers totally. If you have room inside your coop for a dog crate, it might be good that she spend some time with her flock when her neck is a little more healed, to remain part of the group. Good luck.

She’s in a cage in the brooding coop, closed on 3 sides and with a board overtop so no one can poop on her. She’s been with the rest of the flock in that coop for about 2 months, only caged for a week. I don’t have anywhere else that’s secure I can keep her right now. My dogs and cats would stress her out in the house.

Back
Top Bottom