10 week chicks (picture heavy)

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
Here is my latest hatch now at 10 weeks. No crowing yet. Thoughts on gender? Thanks!

^^^^ this one is actually #4 not 3

I'd say that they all look like pullets, but I don't have experience sexing silkies soooo...
What breed is #2? A birchen maran?

They are all barnyard mixes, with plenty with Silkie blood.

I think they are likely all pullets, however watch #2 and #4.

#2 has quite a bit of wattle and pink color for 10 weeks for a pullet, but I've had my mixed breeds develop quickly and lay by 16 weeks. With all the mix of genes, they tend to mature faster with their own set of rules.

#4 also has a bit of comb, but I think it may still be a pullet.

However, watch 2 and 4. You should know more in a few more weeks. Those combs will take off here pretty quick if they are males.
LofMc

They are all barnyard mixes, with plenty with Silkie blood.

I think they are likely all pullets, however watch #2 and #4.

#2 has quite a bit of wattle and pink color for 10 weeks for a pullet, but I've had my mixed breeds develop quickly and lay by 16 weeks. With all the mix of genes, they tend to mature faster with their own set of rules.

#4 also has a bit of comb, but I think it may still be a pullet.

However, watch 2 and 4. You should know more in a few more weeks. Those combs will take off here pretty quick if they are males.
LofMc

Agree lots of silkie blood. Many extra toes and crests.
#2 has always had me questioning because it was quick to grow comb and waddles but I'm surprised hasn't crowed yet. Here it is at week 5

Then at 7 weeks

# 4 has recently filled out in its crest and seems to have semi pointed hackle feathers and as wide as the comb area is, there hasn't been any growth/plumping.

Back
Top Bottom