100% hatch rate on shipped eggs!

woot.gif

Congratulations
thumbsup.gif
on the hatch what do you do with all these babies you get from shipped eggs?
your place must be nice sized for all the birds you have
big_smile.png

Do you free range?

Congratulations
thumbsup.gif
on the hatch what do you do with all these babies you get from shipped eggs?
your place must be nice sized for all the birds you have
big_smile.png

Do you free range?

We only have 5 acres, but we are looking to buy the adjacent property next year. I will only be keeping about 6 peas for now. I have a 50x 100 area for them at the moment. For now it's working, the oldest is only 4 months. I wish I had a place like yours!

Who did you get them from? I want to know because I am in Florida and I would like to know who is selling Java eggs because I contacted one Florida peafowl breeder who has green peafowl and he said he doesn't sell green peafowl eggs. I am trying to save on cost if I can since green peafowl can be more costly than most varieties. Great hatching luck too! I have never gotten a single shipped egg to hatch for me so that is great! How were they shipped was it through ups or postal?

Who did you get them from? I want to know because I am in Florida and I would like to know who is selling Java eggs because I contacted one Florida peafowl breeder who has green peafowl and he said he doesn't sell green peafowl eggs. I am trying to save on cost if I can since green peafowl can be more costly than most varieties. Great hatching luck too! I have never gotten a single shipped egg to hatch for me so that is great! How were they shipped was it through ups or postal?
The javas I have in the incubator came from a breeder in Pennsylvania. I originally bought 4 java eggs. One didn't develop at all, one was an early quitter, and 2 are still kicking in the incubator and due to hatch in a couple of days. The eggs that hatched yesterday were from Heritage Poultry in Springhill, Florida. I don't think she has pure greens, but I did hatch out a nice Spalding earlier this year that came from Heritage. They were all shipped priority mail thru usps. I hatched 5 out of 9 black shoulders from South Dakota. I think it is just luck of the draw on shipping. Maybe you're close enough to pick some up from Springhill. I will be posting my results on the Java eggs here on the forum.

Aww darn I was hoping the Javas were from Florida. I will have to see how close Springhill is to me. I always like finding people nearby that have peafowl. Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

I bought eggs from Springhill and have shipped eggs with same results 90-100% hatches. I think they key to shipped eggs is getting someone with enough hens (Springhill has tons) that all eggs are less than 24 hrs old when they get to the post office. Eggs remain viable 7 days but that is at 60deg. In my experience each day at 70deg or above can count as double or triple.

Actually a lot of places advise not to use eggs beyond day 7.

I rarely have an egg over 10 days hatch.

UC Davis says to store no more than one week.
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs33.htm

A Dutch study showed that eggs stored more than 2 days have reduced hatchability. 0.2% loss each day up to 7 days. Beyond 7 days loss of hatchability increases to 0.5% each day.
http://www.pasreform.com/brochures/28-publications/523-academy-2012.html

This is a quote from the PoultrySite

"Hatchability holds reasonably well up to seven days, but declines rapidly afterward. Therefore, do not store eggs more than 7 days before incubating. After 3 weeks of storage, hatchability drops to almost zero. Plan ahead and have a regular hatching schedule to avoid storage problems and reduced hatches."

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/166/care-and-incubation-of-hatching-eggs

This is from Brinsea

Time in Storage
It is generally considered that eggs should not be kept for more than 7 days prior to incubation. Beyond this time chances of hatchability decrease considerably. Vitamins decay and membranes breakdown in time and so the embryo can often suffer early mortality.

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/EggStorage.aspx

Back
Top Bottom