100% hatch rate on shipped eggs!

Cindysid

Songster
Feb 20, 2010
I hatched 11/11 of my India Blue eggs, actually 10 IB's and one white. I'm thrilled to have finally got a complete hatch. I put these straight into the incubator when they arrived and I have candled them nearly every day. I have watched the air cells to judge how to adjust my humidity and I guess somehow I got it close enough to right. I didn't even have to assist on any of them and they hatched on day 26. I have 2 javas and 3 black shoulder in another incubator that are due to hatch in a few days. Fingers crossed.

Come on you are telling people that it is possible to get 90-100% hatch rates on 12 day old eggs and this thread started with 100% hatch on eggs bought and shipped from Springhill. You are going to cost people money and disappointment if they believe this and you know they will because they really want that one of a kind egg on a five day ebay auction.
If you do not want to waste your money and increase your chances of hatching to a maximum do not buy shipped eggs older than 24 hrs old.

Excuse me? I am not saying that at all. The last sentence of my post clearly starts with "Now these are not shipped eggs" I am not telling anyone anything, but I do know that my eggs here remain viable a lot longer than 7 days. Another member here shipped me eggs, and NONE hatched, but the ones that started to develop were the older than 7 day eggs, the younger eggs stayed clear, I am not saying that old eggs are better, I am just pointing out that nothing is 100 %, when it comes to hatching shipped eggs. That said....I'm done, I do not need to deal with someone who is clearly looking for an argument, sorry to have questioned your obvious expertise.

In a forced air incubator (one with a fan) the heat is constantly being circulated and maintains the recommended incubation temp of 99.5° around the entire egg, but in a still air incubator the hot air rises, the cooler air settles to the bottom. So there's usually a difference of around 2° degrees between the middle of the eggs and the top of the eggs when using the typical/common tabletop style styrofoam still air incubators and it's advised to aim for maintaining a temp of 101.5-102°F (make sure it never gets higher than 103° F), measured by laying one or more accurate thermometers on top of the eggs.

ETA...
Edited because the suggested still air temp info I provided previously was a degree too high... sorry
hmm.png

Last edited:
I hatched 11/11 of my India Blue eggs, actually 10 IB's and one white. I'm thrilled to have finally got a complete hatch. I put these straight into the incubator when they arrived and I have candled them nearly every day. I have watched the air cells to judge how to adjust my humidity and I guess somehow I got it close enough to right. I didn't even have to assist on any of them and they hatched on day 26. I have 2 javas and 3 black shoulder in another incubator that are due to hatch in a few days. Fingers crossed.

Wow! That's impressive, how far did they travel during shipping?
thumbsup.gif

I bought eggs from Springhill and have shipped eggs with same results 90-100% hatches. I think they key to shipped eggs is getting someone with enough hens (Springhill has tons) that all eggs are less than 24 hrs old when they get to the post office. Eggs remain viable 7 days but that is at 60deg. In my experience each day at 70deg or above can count as double or triple.

Who told you eggs remain viable 7 days? I can attest that most of the eggs I set are 10-12 days old and they are still as viable as the ones that are under 7 days old. I think casportpony hatched one that was 26 days old when set. Now these are not shipped eggs, however one batch of shipped ones that I set contained half older and half newer eggs and the older eggs were the ones that developed.
hu.gif

w
Just checked, and the oldest *shipped egg* to hatch was five days old when set.

-Kathy

When set or when shipped? If when set that is what I am hoping new people understand 24-48hrs old at shipping plus transit = 4-5 day old at placing in incubator. I have spent thousands of dollars on shipped eggs and felt like a fool because I could only hatch 30% then I realized it was all due to my buying and not incubating practices I bumped my percentage to 70% average on shipped eggs by sticking to what I have stated with several 100% hatches from Springhill. I am not trying to attack anyone I am trying to help the poor soul that saw 100% hatch and feels stupid because he got 0 from eggs 10 days old (been there done that). I now have 30 laying pea hens that I love never ship an egg over 24 hrs old an referrals from satisfied customers.

Kathy I would like to thank you on all your posts. Your dosing and research have helped me and my friends save many peachicks.

Back
Top Bottom