100% hatch rate on shipped eggs!

Did you all know that people buy eggs from Trader Joe's and hatch them? Bunch of people on the Nor Cal thread do this.

-Kathy
It doesn't surprise me at all. As much trouble as we have hatching shipped eggs you wouldn't think that refrigerated and shipped eggs would hatch, but when it comes to Mother Nature, a lot of crazy things are possible. On previous hatches I have had temp spikes to 114, power outages that brought my egg temps down to 70 for 24 hours at the 10 day mark, and various other "disasters" and many still hatched....except for those darn turkeys. The good thing is I don't have room for the turkeys anyway. Too many peas!

Last edited:
I want a good gene pool of Spaulding purple black shoulder silver pied. Have 1 male and multiple females of this and everything else is a byproduct that I seem to have grown attached to. I don't really like IB but how can you get rid of a hen that comes when you call her or Java (high percent though I doubt pure) that got cross shipped by a seller. Also a group of blue pied that must be split everything because I get cameo pieds as well as black shoulder pieds.
The referrals are much easier to ship as they have no time constraints are flexible on colors and a few pick up so eggs left over after 24 hrs I either hatch myself or I use them for pickups .
I know what you mean! I didn't want spaldings and I was given some white peachicks for free. Finally once the peachicks got big I realized they were Spalding whites. I just wanted regular whites but of course it is too late I love them so much!

Photos please
big_smile.png
I agree EyeKeyYou does not post here much we need photos. I didn't realize you have so many peafowl we definitely need photos of your setup and birds. I want to see the high % Spalding...

I always date mine and even write down what hen layed them, that is how i kept up with 12 hens free ranging this year
wink.png

I date mine with the day lain, mark which pen they came from, hen if I see her lay it, weigh it, and put the expected hatch date on it when I set it. I keep the eggs in a turner and set them every week. Then when they hatch in the hatcher I loose track of which egg they came from.
he.gif
I get some of them banded but most of them get mixed up, like me.
th.gif

I date mine with the day lain, mark which pen they came from, hen if I see her lay it, weigh it, and put the expected hatch date on it when I set it. I keep the eggs in a turner and set them every week. Then when they hatch in the hatcher I loose track of which egg they came from.
he.gif
I get some of them banded but most of them get mixed up, like me.
th.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one..LOL. I can't keep any of them straight no matter how hard I try. The same goes with my plants. I always think that I will remember which pot has which variety, but I never do.

I'm glad I'm not the only one..LOL. I can't keep any of them straight no matter how hard I try. The same goes with my plants. I always think that I will remember which pot has which variety, but I never do.

You could buy those plastic label things for plant pots so you can write down the variety name.

I have always wondered how people don't get confused when hatching peachicks from many different pens! I would get confused too! How does everyone else keep track? Do you have some kind of dividers?

You could buy those plastic label things for plant pots so you can write down the variety name.

I have always wondered how people don't get confused when hatching peachicks from many different pens! I would get confused too! How does everyone else keep track? Do you have some kind of dividers?

I did that Minx and the sun faded the labels completely! Just my luck. Permanent marker isn't permanent in the Florida sun. I forgot to put in my previous post that the 3 black shoulders that just hatched were from Arizona, so I'm thinking the 3/3 hatch is really rare. I'm going nuts now waiting on the javas. Since 2 of the 4 didn't make it, that brings my investment up to $75.00 per egg for the Javas. It will be worth it if they hatch, but I will be very disappointed if they don't, but if that happens I will probably be fool enough to try again next year. I love hatching eggs.

I agree EyeKeyYou does not post here much we need photos. I didn't realize you have so many peafowl we definitely need photos of your setup and birds. I want to see the high % Spalding...
X3 @EyeKeyYou pictures are definetly needed!

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom