11 day old chick bad eye and going in circles

Hi Fancychooklady,
There is swelling around the eye. No snot or sneezing though.
She rubs her eye on her wing making it greesy looking and by doing so rubs the feathers over her eye into her eye and it's really hard to pull those little feathers out of her tender little eyeball!
I've been putting Teramycin gel in her eye for about 5 days now. She hasn't been near cockroaches and her eye was showing signs her first day out of the shell.

I just took this pic of its eye. The upper lid was infected and now it looks like part is missing which must be why it doesn't close. I trimmed the feathers above the eye cause the lid doesn't keep them out and the feathers would get plastered into the eye.

Elaine, what am I treating and how do you get it down the throat? I used a syringe when I gave it Poly Vi Sol but it was hard to get it to drink it. Do you pry the beak open? I'm afraid of choking it or drowning it!

You are treating a neurological conditcondition and immunesupport with all the B vitamins. A sinus nfection in a chicken is treatable with antibiotics. but the inside of a chick's head is so open that swelling in the sinuses which pops the eye out of a chick's head because the head and also causes pressure on the brain. Infection can be treated with antibiotics. but by the time the eye is swollen significantly the brain is damaged. I have given infant drops for nasal congestion (l drop) to lessen the drainage . Motrin Baby drops for inflamation ( 1 drop) The B Helps Repair Nerves. Any Animal wawalking in circles has nerve damage either w or w/o brain damage. Getting into a spot of mold or mushrooms or some parasites cause disruption of the digestive system, Which causes the brain to be starved of sugars. :) Sorry I'm rambling. 3 hrs sleep in last 48. My Brain is not functioning Correctly right Now. Google Goat Polio Then Google Meningeal worm in Goats. Coccidiosis can overload the intestines, disrupting digestion. Google Microplasma S. It causes cold like sysymptoms that complicate into sinus infections. Microplasma G. kills to fast to progress to infectionoms that complicate intosinus infections.
Microplasma G. kills to fast to progress to infection

Synopsis
something caused sinus infection which caused brain damage. Because of swelling. Antibiotics would probably kill it. So Support its system with Thiamine and other B vitamins. 100mg per ml BI is called Fortified Vitamin B Complex
whenpurchasing holdup to light it should not be Black it is only good if itis clear yellow liquid. Syringe with needle, pull up 1/10 of 1 CC diabetic needle is best / 3 timesper dayyellow liquid. Syringe with needle, pull up 1/10 of 1 CC diabetic needle is best / 3 times per day 5 days Probiotics just cause they can't hurt.

B Vitamins go right thru system -can't O.D. causes thirst which helps Sinus infection

Keep B in Cool DARK Place - Goes bad in light.

Sounds like you need B vitamins too ;)
Thank you for all the info. I think it makes sense. I'll get the b complex. Do you open the chick's mouth by hand and drop it in? Forcing it to eat is the hard part for me cause I feel like I'm torturing it. Not sure what's hurting and what's helping.

For antibiotic I started Duramycin in the water yesterday.

Now for the swelling you said Baby Motrin one drop/day?

And infant drop for nasal? I don't see nasal stuff but I suppose it could be there.

THank you!!!!!

Infant drops read lable.
1 drop however often it says.
you can work out the by weight formula but 1 to 2 drops Seems right. I use buman meds on my goats. I have to weigh them. I step on scale. Then i step on scale with baby goat in my arms. I dont know if a chick would register.Maybe a portion scale in kitchen. My silkie chicks weigh so little. They barely register as a tablespoon Of sugar. If you can calculate dosage, Follow directions for how often On box.

Elaine, what am I treating and how do you get it down the throat?  I used a syringe when I gave it Poly Vi Sol but it was hard to get it to drink it.  Do you pry the beak open?  I'm afraid of choking it or drowning it!

It is very easy to aspirate a chicken . Always administer slowly , drop by drop and give the chick ample time to swallow.

You are treating a neurological conditcondition and immunesupport with all the B vitamins. A sinus nfection in a chicken is treatable with antibiotics. but the inside of a chick's head is so open that swelling in the sinuses which pops the eye out of a chick's head because the head and also causes pressure on the brain. Infection can be treated with antibiotics. but by the time the eye is swollen significantly the brain is damaged. I have given infant drops for nasal congestion (l drop) to lessen the drainage . Motrin Baby drops for inflamation ( 1 drop) The B Helps Repair Nerves. Any Animal wawalking in circles has nerve damage either w or w/o brain damage. Getting into a spot of mold or mushrooms or some parasites cause disruption of the digestive system, Which causes the brain to be starved of sugars. :) Sorry I'm rambling. 3 hrs sleep in last 48. My Brain is not functioning Correctly right Now. Google Goat Polio Then Google Meningeal worm in Goats. Coccidiosis can overload the intestines, disrupting digestion. Google Microplasma S. It causes cold like sysymptoms that complicate into sinus infections. Microplasma G. kills to fast to progress to infectionoms that complicate intosinus infections.
Microplasma G. kills to fast to progress to infection

Synopsis
something caused sinus infection which caused brain damage. Because of swelling. Antibiotics would probably kill it. So Support its system with Thiamine and other B vitamins. 100mg per ml BI is called Fortified Vitamin B Complex
whenpurchasing holdup to light it should not be Black it is only good if itis clear yellow liquid. Syringe with needle, pull up 1/10 of 1 CC diabetic needle is best / 3 timesper dayyellow liquid. Syringe with needle, pull up 1/10 of 1 CC diabetic needle is best / 3 times per day 5 days Probiotics just cause they can't hurt.

B Vitamins go right thru system -can't O.D. causes thirst which helps Sinus infection

Keep B in Cool DARK Place - Goes bad in light.

I've dealt with mycoplasma and most birds will survive and the classic upper respiratory symptoms do include sinusitis . I'm not sure that you should be recommending injections to a novice either. Whilst vitamin B1 ( thiamine deficiency ) can cause symptoms of neurological disorder such as wryneck , head shaking and ataxia I haven't seen anything posted here to suggest this.
Overdosing B1 can cause anorexia .

Back
Top Bottom