11 week buff polish a roo??new pictures

tamsflock

Songster
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Ashville, Alabama
I know there are a bunch of birds in the pictures but what I want to know if the 3 buff laced are hens or Roos. They look rather rooish to me. What do you think?
18503_dsc01728.jpg

18503_dsc01732.jpg

Last edited:
Those pics are not great, but from that angle, they look like they may be pullets...can you get better pics?

If they are 11 weeks then I would say pullets. My golden polish are 10 weeks and the roos have bright red tiny little wattles. Very distinct. And the way I know they are roosters is that they have also just started crowing. I dont know if all the different polish roosters wattles turn red, but the goldens sure do, and its very obvious.

They don't have tiny red wattles really nothing at all. I had read in some other post they said the top hats would look like mowhawks. That is why I thought they might be. You can see in my first pictures the black with white crests are round poofs. These were different so I was thinking roo. pullets are great!

well, I gave up on the top hat thing. I couldnt tell what looked like a mohawk, and what didnt. I was so hoping for pullets, that if their crests blew a different direction in the wind, or pointed this way or that, or looked like a helmet, or looked like a mohawk, or, or, or.... I was going crazy trying to figure out what they were until one day, I noticed that one had red wattles. Theyre really small, but definitely there. Then I noticed them on another one. Both of those are also now crowing. I noitced the wattles about 2 weeks ago, and they just started to crow. Now, just for the record, I do see the difference in the crests now, but coming in, they were really hard to tell. I didnt have any real distinct differences. They all looked like mohawks at different times, which was making me crazy. I was quite releived to see such an obvious trait, once the wattles showed up. I wish I'd been waiting for that right from the start. Oh, and the thing on top of their beak is also red.
And, on the roosters, you can also see distinctly more colorful feathers. They are just a prettier bird. All of the females are still comepletely flesh colored around their beaks.
Hope this helps.

One thing I would check on before you take my word is whether or not buff polish roosters get red wattles. Maybe only the golden polish get that. But I doubt it. My other rooster is a black crevocoeur and his wattles are the same way at the same age. He is the other one who is also begining to crow now, so i know its a rooster.

That really helps. thanks for all the information. I have noticed on one of the black with white crests had red on the top of his beak so then maybe he is a he. None of mine are crowing or trying to crow yet.

If that is the one in the first picture, I thought that one looked like a rooster, and I think the tops of my roosters beaks were coloring in before I saw the wattles.
for the record the following pics were taken a couple of weeks ago, the silver looking right into the camera is a pullet who I had marked for a rooster, based on her crest. And the other one, eating the styrofoam is the rooster, just before he got his red wattles.
15563_baby_polish_021.jpg

15563_08_fall_and_deck_and_baby_chicks_033.jpg

Back
Top Bottom