11 week ood hen sick

I would not squeeze her crop anymore, since making them vomit can be dangerous and cause choking to death. But you massage massage the crop if it is impacted and hard or doughy. Hopefully her getting the moss out of her throat will have helped her.
Noted! Thank you! I've never had this happen with a hen before, but we've just relocated from hawaii to florida and a lot of things are different here with chickens and I'm experiencing a lot of firsts... mostly predator related, but now this with the moss.
I was massaging it off and on today but it didn't feel rough or doughy. It was more like a balloon and squishy... which was why I didn't think it was impacted crop and was leaning toward sour crop... so when the mass of leaves and moss came out I was a little surprised. She seems perkier and is roosting with the rest of the girls now, which she wasn't doing the last 2 nights. She slept on the ledge of our chick brooder those nights. Fingers crossed she's past it now and I can move them from chick grit to regular grit to hopefully help.

Back
Top Bottom