113 degree projected weather

May 16, 2020
So here's the issue. It's been in the 90s last few days. Okay, no big deal, we turn on the mister for the gals in their run, they stay under the tarp we added to the coop for rain (now used for shade) and they lay in the damp dirt to cool off.
But this weekend is supposed to be NO LESS than 100 degrees. Sunday was projected for 102, then it was projected for 105, then 110, and now 113. Sunday is going to be HOT.
While we were lucky enough to find the last window airconditioning unit in walmart for our house (we blow the cool air from the living room around the house with fans and stick to the living room where its coldest), we're not sure how to protect our girls from potentially 110 degree heat (and the following week that's supposed to stay in the 90s)
We've been freezing ice blocks for their waterers and been freezing and re-freezing a gallon jug of water (the girls like to lay near it when they're especially warm) but one of our girls, Chickety, seems to be especially heat sensitive (I'm surprised its not the large black australorp with a huge puffy coat of feathers, actually, but our smallest brown novogen who's always lifting her wings and panting)
And we just want to know what all can we do to protect our girls if it DOES get over 100 degrees? They're uncomfortable on 80 and 90 degree days, but they havent yet had to face a day in the 100s, and I want to give them the best possible chance to make it through this heatwave without too much discomfort

tarps aren't really the best, because they don't allow any air flow. Can you go pick up some shade cloth, and cover the whole run? that would keep them out of direct sun and allow air flow. The mister sounds great, and so does frozen water. I also like to freeze their food or treats so that they are forced to drink extra extra water, and it cools them down.

I also have on several occasions filled a bucket of water and dunked (but not fully submurged) my chickens so that they get an instant cool down during peak sun hours.

And we just want to know what all can we do to protect our girls if it DOES get over 100 degrees?
I swear by electrolytes, they really made a difference here.
..and huge ice blocks set into a shallow pan, they will stand right on the ice to cool their feet, which helps cool their whole body.

Misters can really help if you live in a dry environment.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1624621780424.png

Very helpful post. A heatwave is coming to my area, too, and I am trying to have everything prepared. I live the the PNW-- 90 degree weather is very, very rare, and they are predicting 100 degree weather. So it is going to be something new for my flock and I'm hoping they will make it. The ice blocks, mister, shade cloth and electrolytes are excellent ideas! Thanks.

In those temperatures shade, cool water to drink, water to stand in (Most don't stand in it but some do), and wetting the ground in shade where they often take dust baths. In those temperatures the ground will not stay wet long enough for it to be a problem. I don't use electrolytes or misters but those sound good to me. A swamp cooler, where you set up a fan and mist water in front of it, can cool things down a lot but be careful with water around electricity.

What do your nests look like? Are they on a wall where they get direct sunlight? Do they have ventilation up high? I lost a hen while she was laying an egg in 115 degree heat. That hen wasn't handling the heat very well anyway. Wetting the outside of the wall down or even rigging some shade might be worth thinking about if your hens aren't acting quite right.

I really appreciate all the help!
The chicken's run is separated into 2 portions (basically, what we built first and what we added later). Their more enclosed run is where they like to dig (especially after we run the mister for a while and then move it because it softens up the dry ground) and that's where they've started rolling around in the dirt to cool off. Our local farm supply stores have been picked clean recently due to the oncoming heatwave (for living in a large city, a lot of people keep backyard animals as a hobby! can't walk through any neighborhood without hearing the clucking of hens or the sounds of ducks) so we may or may not be able to find shade cloth within the next week (however, thanks for the idea, even if we cant get it right away we'll find it as soon as possible)
Dunking the girls in water doesn't seem too far off either, I know cluck noris absolutely adores water and would probably not mind in the slightest having her belly cooled off in a bucket. Valentina on the other hand, she might put up a fight, but I'm used to her flapping

And I do live in the PNW, I live in Oregon in an area that locally we just call 'the valley'.
I'd rather have high heat than what we had last year at about this time, though! We had to keep the girls in their coop all day for days because the wildfires were causing ash to rain down over the city, and the wildfires got so close we almost had to consider leaving (we got as far as a level 2, prepare to leave notice and had to pack our bags, and it was terrifying having to consider leaving the hens behind.)
I'll take the heat over ash snow every day! Hope this wildfire season is a better one.

I live in Eastern Washington, and they're predicting temps as high as 116 this next week, so I'm in the same boat. Every day, at about noon, I give the hens a puddle in their run, which they all love to stand in, and most even completely stop panting! Of course, the hottest it's gotten is 103 so far this year.

Back
Top Bottom