11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lockdown 12pm Today. 5 out of 7. (4 more eggs to hatch Tuesday.) photos and a video candling about 9 days old Blue Andalusian. I’m transferring the five eggs into an incubator I made for their lock down. Made it out of a Chewy box wrapped with reflections insulation, 15 watt bulb and a bowl with paper towels wet and covered in plexiglass. The four that are hatching Tuesday are staying in the incubator that I bought. Blue towel is over the incubator I bought. Also made a candler with a high-powered flashlight put a cut piece of pool noodle foam wrapped with tape on View attachment 2080046View attachment 2080047View attachment 2080048View attachment 2080049View attachment 2080050View attachment 2080051View attachment 2080052View attachment 2080053View attachment 2080055the end. Works great. View attachment 2080047

I have questions...but not about the incubators...is that a knights helmet on your counter?

Last edited:
:hitEggs have been "dry incubated"...not drawing down enough, humidity at 22%, what do I do? Between the 7 and 14 position...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/700-gif.1254371/

Also what breed at you incubating? Air cells will look entirely different based on the size of the eggs. These were Silkies from a hatch that I had 100% hatch and their weight loss was on point between 10.25%-13.15% by day 18. It can be difficult to go by some of the graphics because I do feel they look larger in the graphic than in real life. So don't panic! Also the air cells change a SIGNIFICANT amount in the last few days of incubation when they're on lockdown the air cell will begin to draw down for hatch.

Silkie Air Cell Growth SIDE.jpg
Silkie Air Cell Growth TOP.jpg

Also what breed at you incubating? Air cells will look entirely different based on the size of the eggs. These were Silkies from a hatch that I had 100% hatch and their weight loss was on point between 10.25%-13.15% by day 18. It can be difficult to go by some of the graphics because I do feel they look larger in the graphic than in real life. So don't panic! Also the air cells change a SIGNIFICANT amount in the last few days of incubation when they're on lockdown the air cell will begin to draw down for hatch.

View attachment 2080212View attachment 2080213
Chicken breed: Brahma or Lt Sussex (the Garbage Can eggs retrieved in picture
Day: 17, Lockdown is April 10
Temp: 100F
Humidity: 22% for last week, average about 39%
Incubator style: side turning, bubble
These are different eggs, she just lays such uniform eggs! All 16 eggs look about like this.
IMG_2764.jpg
IMG_2761.jpg

Chicken breed: Brahma or Lt Sussex (the Garbage Can eggs retrieved in picture
Day: 17, Lockdown is April 10
Temp: 100F
Humidity: 22% for last week, average about 39%
Incubator style: side turning, bubble
These are different eggs, she just lays such uniform eggs! All 16 eggs look about like this.
View attachment 2080271View attachment 2080274

I wouldn't worry about this too much. The air cells are a tad on the small size but not worrisome. Brahmas are LARGE babies. I did hatch some but it doesn't appear that I took candling images back then. Here are some of my Salmon Faverolles eggs, similar size to the Brahma eggs. I marked the day 18 air cell on these eggs. As you can see, there is some variation in size but some of them aren't too far off from what I'm seeing in your image. I think you should be fine! If you leave the humidity lower until about the end of day 19 that will give them a little extra time to lose some more weight just to be safe. Fingers crossed for your hatch!

2-16-20 (2).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom