11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres a question that may sound stupid but here goes.....if you've had the eggs in the incubator for a few days and candle them to see if they are indeed developing. ...I would assume that it's not OK to eat the ones that show no sign of development?
I would cook them for the dog or feed them back to the flock.

They should be fine but why risk it?

Heres a question that may sound stupid but here goes.....if you've had the eggs in the incubator for a few days and candle them to see if they are indeed developing. ...I would assume that it's not OK to eat the ones that show no sign of development?
I doubt they would be truly inedible after seven days and if there were a genuine famine, I would not hesitate to at the least cook them well and feed back to my chickens or any other appropriate animal in my care. That said, we have not (yet) come to that pass. In present circumstances I recommend adding them to the compost--uncooked is fine. Just do make sure they are broken so that nasties cannot grow inside.

Just finished doing a mobile Google Sheets spreadsheet using @julskinka ’s format that they so kindly shared in our March Hatchalong thread weeks ago.

Seeing that I can’t candle olive eggs for development I have decided to weigh them which I did on Day 0. Super excited for this new learning experience and what I will learn this time around.
You can try candling. You won't see as well, but you're likely to see at least something in some of them.

Just finished doing a mobile Google Sheets spreadsheet using @julskinka ’s format that they so kindly shared in our March Hatchalong thread weeks ago.

Seeing that I can’t candle olive eggs for development I have decided to weigh them which I did on Day 0. Super excited for this new learning experience and what I will learn this time around.
Have you tried a high lumen flashlight?

I can look through dark brown eggs with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom