11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set some Sapphire Gem eggs today (too late for the hatch-a-long eggs, but just as much fun). My Silkie eggs should be here by Monday. I have everything planned out on a calendar - candling dates and hatch dates. I will forget if I don't have it written down...can't even remember what day of the week it is right now where the kids are home from school. I don't have all the "normal activities" to help me keep my week straight. I will be candling my hatch-a-long eggs for development on Tuesday (7 days)......feels like I have already had to wait 21 days and I am only on day 4. LOL! I even have it written down when I can purchase my next round of eggs! LOL!
You are in the hatching mode for sure!

I've been on that mode for a long time now😂 it's been non stop. Love hatching. Only part that sucks is butchering day, but then I can hatch a whole bunch more 😁

I just gave away 7 hens and 3 roosters to a friend who helps us work cattle. He is a bit of a prepper and wanted to make sure he had eggs through this whole quarantine. It was a sad day to let them go, and my coop feels so empty (even though I still have 22 hens/roosters/pullets/cockerels and 12 ducks)...LOL! I just keep reminding myself that I will have more soon.

I just gave away 7 hens and 3 roosters to a friend who helps us work cattle. He is a bit of a prepper and wanted to make sure he had eggs through this whole quarantine. It was a sad day to let them go, and my coop feels so empty (even though I still have 22 hens/roosters/pullets/cockerels and 12 ducks)...LOL! I just keep reminding myself that I will have more soon.
I just processed 3 Cockerels and added 9 more chicks and 3 ducklings 😂 I have 1 rooster, 8 19 week old chicks, 10 pullets and 4 ducks 🤦🏼‍♀️

F0510B63-4137-45EA-85C1-D2944EFB5FBE.jpeg

This is the first out from my eggs that were set too early for this hatch along. Hopefully a couple more will hatch tonight or tomorrow.

Day 12 duck eggs. Swishing around in there like crazy!

While reading up on hatching duck eggs I keep coming across a rather ominous bit of advice NOT to candle duck eggs too much. Are duck eggs really that much more sensitive than chicken eggs in this regard? I love candling but I don't want to do them any unnecessary harm. I understand the risk of something happening any time there is handling of the eggs. I hand turn. So they're being touched already, many times, throughout the day. Is there any other reason not to candle?

IMG_20200328_200755866.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom