11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOCKDOWN!

candled all the eggs that I had left.
we started out with 19 and on the first week I candled them and 4 were infertile. And one had stopped developing— so 1 and a half weeks in we had 5 gone out of the 19
Candled and marked the air cell for the last time just now and all seems great with the remained eggs and hoping for the best!!!
as I was putting them back in the incubator I saw an egg move—it wiggled!- I thought I was seeing things but my sister saw it as well.
I don’t know what that means, if it’s just moving in the shell to get into position 🤷🏻‍♀️ at least I know it’s doing great in there! 😇

Very excited for Saturday and hope everything goes well on Lockdown and I can officially say that my first incubation was successful😁😁

Eek! My eggs weren't due till Thursday/Friday, but I have one zipping and another pipped! Lol, this is the first time my breed that has a reputation for hatching early has actually hatched early. It is so exciting to take a random peek while walking by and seeing a surprise like this!
IMG_20200408_115743_kindlephoto-682219666.jpg

Eek! My eggs weren't due till Thursday/Friday, but I have one zipping and another pipped! Lol, this is the first time my breed that has a reputation for hatching early has actually hatched early. It is so exciting to take a random peek while walking by and seeing a surprise like this! View attachment 2080348
Early hatchers are fun!

We'll be hatching chickens!

We've been doing a live webcast of our hatch since 2008, we call it Chickam. Our hatch is planned for April 11th. You can watch the Chickam hatch on YouTube, with chat, then the following 8 weeks of the chicks' lives--the camera will run 24/7--here: Chickam!

We also have a Twitter for Chickam updates, here--when the hatch begins, we'll tweet: https://twitter.com/home

We use a Reptipro incubator for the hatch, we start the YouTube channel when the first egg starts to unzip. We'll be hatching a mixed batch of bantams and standard size, all kinds of different breeds and breed mixes (we love our mutts!). If we have a large broody hen available to mother the chicks after the hatch we'll recruit her to raise the chicks, otherwise it'll just be the chicks in the brooder box. Either way, it's a hoot to watch and we invite everyone to join us! :D

Chickam Update! I candled eggs again last night, we have 7 eggs with chicks! 4 more eggs are questionable, so I left them in the ReptiPro and we'll see how they do. 5 other eggs had quit and were removed. Hatch is on schedule for 3 days from now, Saturday April 11th!

The channel is activated once the hatch starts, if you tune in & see eggs, it's begun! You can watch the hatch & participate in the Chickam chat if you like, then for the next 8 weeks watch the chicks growing up, the cam will run 24/7, with sound, here:

PIPS already O MY. Not sure why my temp was around 100.5 ish the whole time but two of the babies are piped and chirping. Today is day 19 for them just put them on lockdown last night.
A slightly higher temp can speed up incubation. Not a good idea to do on purpose, but ya do your best. When it does this it may be that putting the bator in a cooler room or (if available) setting a different room temperature on your controls. will make it easier to keep it around the desired temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom