11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only surviving EHAL egg pipped, but in the wrong spot. :( I thought for sure it was a goner. It missed the air cell and didn't seem to actually pip through the membrane, just crack the shell. No beak visible, so I figured it drowned / suffocated. But, when I started to fleck away the shell around the pip to assess what went wrong, it peeped at me!! :th So I candled and its beak is visible in the air cell, not where the external pip was. I don't know how that's even possible, but okay! Egg is back in lockdown and I'm keeping my hands off!! :fl :fl :fl

That’s the hard part about keeping uncommon breeds or colours; on one hand you’re one of the few who has them so you have bragging rights and they’re worth more, but on the other hand it’s incredibly hard and expensive to bring in new lines. It definitely has to be a breed you enjoy working with.

I’m struggling with that with my BP Brahma right now. Everyone who has them here has most of their stock from the same breeder, and because importing isn’t an option I’m thinking I may need to get a Dark rooster to refresh the bloodline. Even though it will set me back on colour, it may help with lacing, type, and fertility.

Haha, not that I've ever used mine for bragging rights, but I do quite adore them with their charm and attitude and soft-and-fuzziness. 😍 Luckily with these silkie-feathered Cochins, there is always the option of outcrossing them to smooth Cochins and crossing back, so it's not all that bad... Unless you want to work on different varieties like I had been planning at the beginning of the year--then you're starting from scratch with outcrossing. :barnie

Best of luck with your outcross if you do end up doing that! 🍀

I LOVE your light chick! I'm pretty stunned that I hatched a blue baby too. lol! It's much bigger than the other two black chicks that have hatched...what are the chances that it's a girl? :lau Watch, we'll both get super lucky with unexpected colors and they'll both be boys.
hysterical.gif

Wouldn't that just be the case!! Oh, well. I have an oddball hen from my Reds who's almost a partridge color, so I could always play around with crossing the recessive white with her and see what happens. Assuming she (the RW) is a cockerel, anyway. :p And there's always the possibility that the RW baby is blue underneath that white, so hey, I might find myself with blues one way or another! :D

My only surviving EHAL egg pipped, but in the wrong spot. :( I thought for sure it was a goner. It missed the air cell and didn't seem to actually pip through the membrane, just crack the shell. No beak visible, so I figured it drowned / suffocated. But, when I started to fleck away the shell around the pip to assess what went wrong, it peeped at me!! :th So I candled and its beak is visible in the air cell, not where the external pip was. I don't know how that's even possible, but okay! Egg is back in lockdown and I'm keeping my hands off!! :fl :fl :fl

Haha, not that I've ever used mine for bragging rights, but I do quite adore them with their charm and attitude and soft-and-fuzziness. 😍 Luckily with these silkie-feathered Cochins, there is always the option of outcrossing them to smooth Cochins and crossing back, so it's not all that bad... Unless you want to work on different varieties like I had been planning at the beginning of the year--then you're starting from scratch with outcrossing. :barnie

Best of luck with your outcross if you do end up doing that! 🍀

Wouldn't that just be the case!! Oh, well. I have an oddball hen from my Reds who's almost a partridge color, so I could always play around with crossing the recessive white with her and see what happens. Assuming she (the RW) is a cockerel, anyway. :p And there's always the possibility that the RW baby is blue underneath that white, so hey, I might find myself with blues one way or another! :D
They can often make it if they do not pip into a vein. You need to play the theme to Rocky for that one!

Got the generator up and running finally. Here in Maine we may expect to be out of power for the weekend, more than 260 thousand houses without power because of the snow storm.
I've got at least 8 pips so far and hope to see some new chicks hatch tomorrow
I hope you get a lot of them to hatch!

First hatch and first baby on day 20! I forgot to enter the HAL, even though I put them in the incubator late March 21, just so I could take part lol, but I hope you don’t mind me posting a pic of our cute little blue silkie!

Attachments

• F4AD64EE-EF63-47F8-B199-8C426D536154.jpeg
    F4AD64EE-EF63-47F8-B199-8C426D536154.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom