11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I messed up this hatch. I started a night shift job working 12 hrs, worked the past 3 night and forgot to turn off the turner. Plus my incubator seems to be running slightly hot. I got home to 3 hatched chicks, 1 half zipped and dead chick, 1 dead in shell chick. Checked the duck eggs and 4 were dead in shell, 1 internally pipped, 11 not anything yet. They are due tomorrow night to the next couple days. :( the dead ducks were all in position with large yolks. The dead chick was upside down. I'm kicking myself. Those 5 chicken eggs were from my gamebird and showgirl that were recently killed by a fox.

Here's the 3 chicks. Not sure how the chipmonk came about because both parents were completely black. But I sure hope it's a girl. We jokingly call them gameshows.

View attachment 2085836View attachment 2085837
I’m so so sorry about all your babies that didn’t make it :(
But that chipmunk one is gorgeous!!!

Alright, finishing up with my hatches. I helped one baby a little as I noticed they'd been stuck for more than a full day, they came out healthy and strong. I was too late to help another one. I threw out two eggs which when candled/tested turned out they had passed. I have one egg left in the incubator which I'm not too hopeful for, but it's still got time if it wants to pip and join the world. As for the rest of the babies, they've been made comfortable in the brooder.

I hope everyones hatches are going well. I haven't had a chance to sit down at my pc in forever! I have 17 quail chicks that have hatched so 5 eggs to go. very fitting that I used an easter basket to transfer them to the brooder

Attachments

• 93173461_665420010938524_6011193436722429952_n.jpg
    93173461_665420010938524_6011193436722429952_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 7
I have a pip. I topped the water tray up and accidentally spilt some water by the fan :th so I had to remove the eggs to mop it up with a paper towel. So did a quick tap test as I put them back, only one tapped and noticed a pip as I put it back, also one had a good wriggle. I wouldn't have moved the eggs at this point only I had to.

So, many of you know that I have 2 hatched going 1 at my house and 1 at my daughters. So I’m going to copy and paste the text she sent me this morning. All she had in her incubator are Ameraucana eggs.

“Dreamt about the dumb eggs all night - last dream I went in to check and the one egg had hatched (baby was brown and black) went to get Harrison and when we came back the other eggs had hatched too - but one was a fluffy yellow duck and one was some other kind of bird 🤦‍♀️
Thought y’all would enjoy some laughter!

All hatched!! The last one has an external pip so I left two in the incubator to motivate it. (I still can’t believe one came out white! My White Leghorn‘s seed lasted 2 weeks!!)

Here is a low quality picture. Can’t get it to focus. I’m giving 4 away to my husband’s aunt so I’m debating on randomly picking them for her or let her choose out of the bunch. I can’t sex them so I don’t really wanna risk giving her 4 boys. I rather her pick them out and if she gets 4 boys it will be her luck and not have room to say I purposely gave her 4 boys. They’re free after all so she should not complain even if she gets all boys, but still for my peace of mind, I rather her pick them out.

09E6E2A1-081A-4425-B150-320E139E6BC1.jpeg

Our two little chicks this morning. Chick 1 is SO happy now that Chick 2 is ready to be a friend. Chick 1 is Tolbunt Polish x Easter Egger or Spitzhauben possibility of frizzled feathers- though I don't think so looking at her so far. Chick 2 is Easter Egger x Easter Egger or Spitzhauben I think chick 2 dried out a little and still has a little stiff down here and there from the dried on stuff, she's mostly fluffy though. They are both eating, drinking and exploring this morning. I hope at least one more will join them but no pip from the next most likely egg. I did candle when I removed these chicks and it was not internally pipped. I couldn't tell much else due to it being a blue egg

DSCF1208 (2).JPG DSCF1224 (2).JPG DSCF1225 (3).JPG

Good morning and Happy Easter! Congrats on all of the great hatches! I wasn't on much yesterday but I loved scrolling through the pictures this morning! :love

My second wave of chicks are hatching! I see about 16 pips out of the remaining 24. Number 25 popped out silently last night waaaay before the rest had even considered externally pipping. lol, I was tending to one of the Bantam Silkied Cochins that is extra sleepy and glanced at the incubator to see an Ameraucana had just hatched super early! :eek:

4-11-20 (2).JPG

I'm not sure what's going on with my sleepy little Silkied Cochin, the other 5 are doing fantastic. I'm going to keep giving it little bits of vitamins throughout the day but look at this sweet little narcoleptic face!

4-11-20 (1).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom