12 chickens dead

AutumnTexas

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2019
My whole flock, 12 chickens, were dead when I came home today. They free range and were all in various places in the yard and their coop. No blood, no signs of struggle. About half were in their backs stretched out and the rest were on their stomachs. About a week ago one of my hens had bubbly eyes but no other symptoms. I treated with triple antibiotic in the eyes since all of the TSCs around me are sold out of antibiotics. Her eyes cleared up quickly and i was going to order some antibiotics online when I got home today but found my flock gone. What could do this so fast? My whole flock was fine, clear eyes and everything when I left for work this morning around 6am. I got home around 3pm and everyone is in rigor already..

Welcome to BYC and very sorry that you have lost all of your birds. Can you provide some information about your set-up and how much shade you have? How old were the chickens? Can you go and check your feed container for any mold or an “off odor?” Mold poisoning could be a possibility, but I would guess that heatstroke and dehydration might be the cause. Go back over the bodies for anything that might have been missed. It is always hard to guess, so I would send a couple of the bodies to your state vet for a necropsy. Keep them cool, but not frozen. Here is a link for your state lab locations:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I got home around 3pm and everyone is in rigor already..
Welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your loss. :(

Are you in an area where there have been high numbers of buffalo gnats this year?

Any chance their feed went bad? Or they got into oil? Or you have an angry neighbor that might offer poison? What is their age? Where are you located?

Getting a necropsy on at least 2 is my best suggestion. Links to help...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

:hugs:hugs

I live in South East Texas. It's been hot lately, in the mid 90's, but the hens have have had shade and water/ACV mix. Food is fresh pellets every day because they eat so fast. Everyone's been wormed. They were a mix of 6month -2 year old hens

How sad for you! I would be devastated! I'm so sorry for your loss and hope you are able to solve this mystery. :hugs

Welcome to BYC! I am so sorry to hear what has happened to your flock.

About where in the world do you live?
In the US?

:barnieI see your username now.
Texas correct?

Direct link to our state lab:
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu

I live in South East Texas. It's been hot lately, in the mid 90's, but the hens have have had shade and water/ACV mix. Food is fresh pellets every day because they eat so fast. Everyone's been wormed. They were a mix of 6month -2 year old hens
I am in Houston.
Stop giving them ACV in their water.
I doubt it cause the deaths but it is NOT good to use in hot weather.

Back
Top Bottom