12 dead birds and charges filed *update 1st court date today*

Status
Not open for further replies.

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
My son was at home and he called me at work to tell me the bad news. My irresponsible dumb@$$ neighbor had failed to confine their rhodesian ridgeback dogs. They got in the coop and killed most of my birds. They even tore into and destroyed a steel parrot cage that I had 2 birds separated in.
The dead:
Eggatha - black bantam of unknown breed
Eugene - Eggatha's daughter
Buffy - mixed breed layer
Queenie - Mixed breed layer (Buffy's sister)
Ava - White leghorn layer
Magda - White leghorn layer
Princess - Red sex link layer
Pinky - Jersey Giant hen
Hazel - Jersey Giant hen
Poofhead - Silkie rooster
Puff - Silkie hen
Fluff - Silkie rooster

Wounded:
Peter - Phoenix rooster (critical & under vet care)
Missy - Red Jungle Fowl (lost her tail feathers)

Traumatised but no obvious wounds:
Rodney - Jersey Giant roo
Little Big Foot - Jersey Giant hen
Blue Rose - Jersey Giant hen
Zsha Zsha - Mixed breed layer

The sherriff was called. I love our sherriffs's dept. My neighbors and my son saw the dogs. They are positively ID'd as the ridgebacks. I came home immediately and filed charges. You guys would love our law enforcement officers here when it comes to loose mean dogs. Not only did the deputy come out, but they treated it like the crime scene it was. When I got home the deputy was interviewing the neighbors. We were instructed to touch nothing before they took pictures and looked for evidence. The CSI van was out and the CSI guy took photos. The deputy went to the dog owners' house. They were not home, and there were no dogs there. He stopped by later to say that he checked back at the house and they still weren't home, but the dogs were in the fence. So I guess they can get in as well as get out.

Here is a history on the dogs. They have previously attacked and killed one pet dog in the neighborhood and attacked and wounded two others. The dogs that were attacked by these monsters were all in their own yards minding their own business. It's up to the courts to decide what happens now. The maximum charges they will face are dog at large violations and felony dangerous animal charges (because the dogs have previously been a menace). The minimum charges will be dog at large violations and criminal mischief. The deputy said that the courts will normally order restitution to be paid in these matters. He instructed me to not discuss the matter with the neighbors and tell them to call him personally to resolve it.

A bit later the jerk neighbors came to my door and said that another neighbor told them law enforcement was looking for them and wondered what was going on. The funny thing is that only me, my family and the witnessing neighbors knew what happened. The guy he refered to would have had no clue that I would know what happened. I can only assume that their stupid dogs had a dead chicken and they put 2 and 2 together. One of white leghorns was still in one of the dog's mouth when it was seen running away from the crime scene.

I just told them that their dogs needed to be put down, I was aware of their history, they murdered my flock and they needed to call the officer at the Sherriff's department. He started with the, "Golly Gee, I'm so sorry..." I slammed the door on his face. I figured I better not get going because I was instructed not to say too much to them because charges were pending.

These neighbors are actually nice people, but incredibly stupid. They have more money than they know what to do with. When their dogs have been a problem they pay up and pretend it never happened. Not this time. Not with my pets. They will pay. It will become my mission to see that those dogs are put down. I will insist on full restitution too.

I am so broken hearted over this. Poor peter is in the bathroom with stitches in his back. We don't know if he will make it. DS took him to the vet while I talked to the deputy. He has tons of stitches in his back, antibiotics, and a shot prepared with more medicine if he is still with us tomorrow.

I took the eggs out of the fridge that I gathered last night and the bator is warming up. Do you think there is any chance that they could hatch after being refrigerated since yesterday? I would really like to have one of Pinky's babies especially. I may have to get more eggs and start again.

Thanks for listening.
Jody

Last edited:
Sorry about your chickens. Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. I'd give your eggs a try. I hatched some last winter that had gotten pretty cold out in the nest all day. You've got nothing to lose by trying to hatch them.

I am so sorry, I hate to hear that.

You eggs should be fine, just let them warm up to room temp before you put in bator. I have heard of people putting eggs in fridge for up to 2 months before hatching them. There is a thread somewhere here on BYC talking about it.

Maybe they will do something about the dogs now.

Our prayers are with you,
Amanda

I am so sorry. I know how you are feeling. As far as the refrigerated eggs yes they have been sucessfully hatched. Make sure you let them set small end down and let them get to room temperature. This is not saying they will but it has been done numerous times. It is definitly worth a try I would. Let us know if it works and again my heart goes out to you. My chickens are my friends as well as my family.

Iam so sorry to hear about your chickens. Its a shame that these dogs will have to pay for their irresponsible owners. As for your eggs.I have a customer who will only incubate refrigerated eggs. He claims they hatch better. Leave them sit until they are room temperature sit them small side down then try it. What do you have to lose.

Sorry to hear about your Chickies! I'd push the issue too. Those dogs sound like danger to everything!

Posts like this literally make my stomach sick.

My neighbor dog is always loose and neglected. The difference is he is a real nice dog. He likes to come in and play with my dog but he is an outside dog and he always stinks so bad from laying in dirty bedding. We bathe him about once every couple months and it's like she doesn't even notice. I also put frontline on him. I also feed him and leave water out just in case. We gave him a bath last night and this morning my dh put clean straw in his house. Funny though, as a truly good dog would......he is very loyal to her. He always goes back home to HIS house with no prompts.

Why, why, why do ppl have animals if the won't take care of them or watch them.

And why do ppl get dogs that are aggressive??? There are so many nice breeds that even if they somehow got loose would not harm other animals.

Not all but most dogs with proper training know their boundaries, but the have to be trained.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Whenever I read a post like this I imagine how devastated I would be.

I hope they get the MAX!!!

Jody,
this is sad and frustrating. i cannot say 'i know how you feel', i have not, thank God, been in your shoes. i can say that i will be thinking of you and praying for resolution and restitution.

give the eggs a try. the worst that could happen is that they don't work, the best that could happen is 100% hatch!

hugs to you.

I can't even imagine how horrible this must be for you. I am sooo sorry! Poor chickens. I pray Peter pulls through. You sound like the best chicken mom in the world. :aww

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom