12 dead birds and charges filed *update 1st court date today*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed the thread. You have my condolences and prayers.
hugs.gif
It's great that you have the courage to start again. Keep holding on.

Quote:
Hi Writer,

You hit the nail right on the head! In fact, one can do his own research, but domesticated animals actually become "dead" to their wild past. Their 2nd generation and onwards even start to look different, because they are different.

Best!

Sky~

I so sorry about your loss and hope you succede in getting restitution and the dogs put down. It isn't easy putting a value on something you've raised and have bonded with.
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I fully agree that it is the responsibility of all dog owners to control and care for their dogs. I couldn't possibly agree more! However, I disagree that they are not predators. Just because they are not born wild does not mean that they are not born with their predatory instincts. They do not need to be predatory to survive, but being raised in a home and taken care of doesn't just make it go away. Training doesn't make it go away. You can train a dog to control its instinct, but you can't take it away. I have a VERY well trained and obedience titled German shepherd. She also has a VERY high prey drive. Would she kill a chicken? YES. She would not kill a chicken in front of me, though I can see the desire in her eyes, but if she had the opportunity and no one was around she would most definitely kill a chicken. Does this make her mean or vicious? If you are the chicken, I guess yes it does, but she really is just the sweetest most loving dog to people and other dogs. She is also great with cats. She is a wonderful, domesticated, loved, cared for but still predatory dog. Just like a wolf, or mountain lion, or eagle raised in captivity, she is still a predator.

Those ridgebacks sound like a disaster that has already happened and should have been prevented. They should have been destroyed when their owners demonstrated their lack of ability or desire to control them after their first offense. Stuff happens ... I can forgive a dog and their owner once, but when it happens again that is inexcusable. Multiple offenses are not forgivable.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope you get restitution and, though I am sorry for the dogs, I hope they are destroyed. It sounds like it is the only way to keep them from hurting other animals and perhaps people. They are probably beyond rehab and their owners definitely are.

I am so sorry and I know how devastated you are over the loss of your babies.
sad.png
As for the eggs, I had a wonderful rooster killed some time ago and wanted babies from him before it was too late. I gathered every possible fertile egg I could find, including some that had been in my refrigerator and in my mom's refrigerator (yes, I re-po'd eggs
smile.png
)for days (some as long as a week or more). All the refrigerated eggs hatched into healthy chicks.
smile.png
Good luck.

Man I am so sorry. Here is hoping the eggs hatch. I haven't read all the post yet but sure hope that something is done about the dogs before they murder anything or anyone else.

Jody
Your situation really sucks and I sympathize. If you have ever shown any of your birds and won prizes,kept records for pedigrees and so forth, they arent just chickens. The price can reach astronomical levels for show birds.
wink.png

I had a situation with a 12 year old,his dad and a bb gun. Told him my pedigreed roller pigeons were 1000 bux a pop. Looked him in the eye and asked him how many he wanted.
The cops came (his wife thought I was gonna beat him up as I was slightly miffed)and I told them the same thing. 1000 bux a pop. Cops told him if any of my birds were injured or killed they were.... 1000 bux a pop.

Not telling you to go crazy but dont sell yourself short. There is feed,time,travel expenses to go find replacements,coop material,shipping costs,mental anguish and various other things that need to be accounted for in the price of your birds before you go to court. If you get the amount you want you wont have to go thru the hassle of civil court.
g/l
just my thoughts

Over the weekend I discovered a nice family advertising pullets for sale. We drove there yesterday and intended to get at least 2. I ended up bringing 4 home. I got 2 barred rocks (Martha & Bonnie), 1 New Hampshire Red (Lucy) and a Black Autralorp (Gem). The place was clean and all of the birds look healthy. After proper quarantine, they will be fully intregrated with what's left of my little flock.

DH used to say that he couldn't remember the names of all 18 chickens. Now that 13 are dead, he talks about all of them and refers to all of them by name. He used to say that when any of my animals died, they wouldn't be replaced because there were too many. Yesterday, he went with me to pick out chickens. He was the one saying, "Maybe we should get some Barred Rocks." He also is the one that named Gem. He used to complain that he didn't want big dog runs attached to the coop because they were ugly. Yesterday, he was at Bomgaars getting prices on them. He didn't even complain that I got pink paint on his garage floor while I was painting nest boxes yesterday. Either he likes the chickens more than he will admit, or I have to check the basement for pods.

The dog owner has until tomorrow morning to turn himself in before they get a warrant for his arrest. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Aw
smile.png
I'm glad you were able to find some more chickens and especially that hubby is on board! It's great when you find out they've been won over.

Keep us posted on what happens with Mr. Irresponsible dog owner. I hope he really gets what is coming to him and that he learns something from it. I hope the dogs are taken care of so they are no longer a public danger.

Good luck and best wishes with your new chickens and the ongoing legal issue with the neighbor.

I'm sorry this happened.

Where I live it is not a crime for a neighbor's dog to come and eat your whole flock. You can only sue them in small claims.

At the same time, I can shoot anything molesting my livestock with endangered species being the only exclusion. I keep a rifle loaded at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom