12 dead birds and charges filed *update 1st court date today*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yeah, I saw it and commented. Some people will always believe that the right of their dog to run free and be a predator takes precedent over another animals right to exist. That is the problem with my neighbors. They think it's cruel to confine a dog and not "let it be a dog." But they think it is just unfortunate (not cruel on their part) when the dogs torment and kill.

Yes, please, get those dogs turned over to RRUS! They are good people who know the breed and are in a position to judge whether or not the dogs are rehomable or just plain dangerous now. And they will do so responsibly or their chapter will be sanctioned and revoked!

really sorry to hear about your lost birds.
The eggs will most likely hatch. I read about a guy who did a test with his quial eggs in the fridge for two weeks and he got a 55% hatch out of them.
My quail were laying like mad ans after I got a batch in the bator I saved three dozen in the fridge door in the egg tray for ten days because I didn't have a cooler for them. i figured I'd do my own test to see if it really worked. It worked and they hatched at a 70% rate so unless your fridge gets down to 36 degrees or so your eggs should hatch.
Makes me wonder if I buy some farm eggs to eat and try to hatch them if they would hatch too?

Quote:
Yeah, I saw it and commented. Some people will always believe that the right of their dog to run free and be a predator takes precedent over another animals right to exist. That is the problem with my neighbors. They think it's cruel to confine a dog and not "let it be a dog." But they think it is just unfortunate (not cruel on their part) when the dogs torment and kill.

A while ago i wrote a thread about my neighbor and her problem with letting her dogs be wild and free. The last time i caught her dog in my yard, it was terrorizing my birds. A few weeks ago, I went out to do the morning chores, and I found one of my quail missing it's head.

My neighbor knows her dogs are not welcome here, and I told her if this continues, her dogs will not come home . In our town, it is not illeagle to shoot a dog (or other)in defense of life or property. The rule is you have to talk to the offender first. tell them that their dog had been a problem. i did that, and she knows it.

she thinks it's cruel to tie them up, and keep them in their own yard, but don't understand that it's seems even crueler to let them do as they please, and then get shot for doing as they please.

the police in your area are impressive. When I called our police, they told me the rule about shooting them. (we are outside city limits) These problem dogs have a past, so hopefully they will be taken care of. So what is the owner think about the dogs if they were to attack a small child? Maybe since the dogs have a violent past, it'll make it easier for the police to realize that they might move on to bigger prey, and a decision to prevent the dogs from harming anything and anyone again. It has happened in my neighborhood (packing dogs seriously injured a little boy, and almost killed him.) but that was years ago before we moved here, and it was because of that little boy that the shooting rule came to play.

I'm so sorry about your birds. Irresponsible people really chap my hide!!
somad.gif

Quote:
It won't be up to me. At this point law enforcement has advised me to have no contact with this neighbor. I do not intend to speak to them unless in a court or in front of law enforcement. The appropriate thing for these dogs is to be put down or turned over to a rescue that will spay/neuter them and advise any potential adoptor of their violent past. However, rescues have a lot of liability when they foster or adopt out a dog with known violent tendencies. If the dog causes harm, they can be sued for harboring a dangerous animal or for not fully disclosing the risk to a potential adoptor. By our state laws these dogs have been designated as dangerous animals. What can and can't be done with them and how they must be housed is very restricted. Their irresponsible owners have most likely sealed their fate. There is a chance that they may be allowed to keep them, but they will be required to be inside or in a fully enclosed kennel with a top, an inescapable bottom, childproof locks and have dangerous dog warnings posted prominently on the property. I believe that they will also have to be spayed or neutered. That is good because this is their breeding pair. Yes, they are backyard breeders and have been letting their nasty, untrained and unsocialized menaces produce more of the same.

Jody,

I agree with everything you wrote.

That said, I think if the court decided to confiscate the dogs for euthanasia, you could probably ask that they be turned over to RRUS. Maybe it wouldn't work out, but there's a slim chance that a positive thing could come out of the situation.

RRUS is one of the really good purebred rescue organizations out there and they do a good job.

Just thought I'd toss it out there as a possibility.

As I'm sure you know, people who are like that and have their dogs taken away usually just turn around and do the same thing all over again. It's disgusting.

The sherriff's deputy just stopped at our house. They still have not been able to contact our neighbor. They keep going to the house and nobody is home. I told him that the neighbor had tried to talk to me and I told him to call the deputy. The deputy is angry at them now because he knows that the neighbor knew and still didn't call. A notice is being left on their gate. If he doesn't turn himself in by Tuesday morning, a warrant will be issued for his arrest. The records show that the wife has been ticketed a few times for dog at large, and the investigation is continuing. They need to determine for fact that they are the same dogs involved this time. It is now officially on the record that these dogs are dangerous, and if euthanization isn't ordered they can only be kept under strict requirements. They will need a 6 foot high kennel with a top and bottom, locked & childproof gate, dangerous dog signs posted, muzzled in pubic, locked inside when the owner isn't home, special insurance, etc. The deputy also went over the restitution laws with me. He doesn't want us to start any civil proceedings yet because the criminal judge will order restitution. I am still tracking down costs to replace my birds. I feel really good about my prospects of restitution and preventing future problems from these dogs. Thanks again for listening. And if anybody is looking for a place to live with good law enforcement protecting poultry people, come to Douglas County Nebraska. The Sherriff's Dept is great!!!! When this is done maybe I'll have a few dozen doughnuts delivered to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom