12 dead birds and charges filed *update 1st court date today*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Jody, I am sooo verry sorry. I am glad that your son didnt get into the mix. That could have made a bad situation even worse. Those dogs do need to be put down, before its a child...and not another animal. You and your family are definately in our prayers.

Jody, Please accept my deep condolences for Peter, Eggatha, Eugene, Buffy, Queenie, Ava, Magda, Princess, Pinky, Hazel, Poofhead, Puff, and Fluff. We all understand how deely heartbroken you must be, and how much you loved these precious animals.

We'll all be supporting you from afar and hoping that this situation ends in the best possible way for you.

Hugs, jenn.

hugs.gif

Jody ~ I don't even know what to say to you. I am so, so very sorry. We had a similar situation awhile back and I also posted on BYC. Reading everyone's words made me feel a little better, but I know your birds were just as irreplaceable as ours were. Good luck with your eggs, I know from reading your posts how much you love your animals. Mine (& Cassie's) thoughts are with you right now. ~ Kim

Take them for a HEFTY sum....make sure you have enough money to cover feed costs to raise another batch to that age....and tax them for labor....If you sell the eggs you can get them for a source of income, too....AND if your other chickens gets stressed and stop laying for a few days you can get them for THAT, too. I think you should sue the crap out of them (first time's an accident, the second.....) since they don't have a problem handing out cash, and get something in writing stating that if it happens again the dogs will be euthanized/rehomed AND they will pay you double the cost of your birds. I know, I'm stretching now, but it's worth a shot. I would just hate to see these dogs put down for their owner's mistakes....

CSI!!! NO way!!! I love your cops!!!
I would try the egg. I know my bear attack was the end of august but I wasnt getting eggs so much and recently one laid and I cooked it but it had a blood spot. Our silkie mix is broody and sitting on some that were laid. It would be a miracle if anything hatched I think but I really feel the loss of our rooster, it would be nice if it was one of his babies. He was such a survivor. I think our girls were scared eggless as we have not really had any eggs laid since the attack, less than 10 I would say. Anyway, I am reallly sorry for your loss, it is heart breaking. I hope your eggs hatch and I guess if anyone lays you may have a chance of using them also! I hope your rooster makes it. Stupid dogs...

I just read the other posts...sorry about your rooster
sad.png

Last edited:
not enough words, not enough icons/unsmilies to express how much our hearts are hurting for you as you deal with the tragic loss of your babies. May the Lord help your heart to mend.

So Sorry to hear about your birds, I have successfully hatched eggs that were refridgerated for 9 days while we were out of town for a family emergency.. Good Luck and God Bless

I've been reading BYC because I'm not a chicken owner yet (raised Banties when I was a little girl) and raised rabbits when my kids were little....but this really got me where I live.
long story short: one morning our son woke us to say 2 dogs were in the yard. 2 Rottweilers were playing "bite the feet off the rabbits" and barking. We killed one dog, the other got away. Here in San Diego if you own livestock and a dog runs on your property and harms them, his life is forfeit.
I figured I'd never know who owned the dogs. Our doe was taken to the vet and she died the next day, the day I had planned to breed her.
A few weeks later, I ran across an ad in our local PennySaver, 'Rottweiler missing: large male escaped from our yard with female, female returned...haven't seen male. Please call.' Just because I'm that kind, I called and told the man not to bother looking for his dog anymore. He started to give me a hard time, and I told him what the law here states, and what my losses were for a show-quality doe who would have possibly given us some show-quality kits. He got quiet and I told him we could call it an even loss. He agreed, and I never had a dog come into my fenced yard again.

But that doesn't help with your loss, Jody. I am glad your local police are on it, and you had a positive ID on the culprits, plus witnesses. Get a statement from them as to what they saw, as it will 'seal the deal' if and when you have to tell it to the judge. The sooner witnesses tell their observations on paper, the better and more reliable the recall will be when Justice comes a-knocking.

I am sorry you and your family and children had to go through something like that. It just makes me angry all over again. There's just no replacement for your feathered buddies.
I was really sorry to hear about Pete. Poor fella, he just died of the whole ordeal. Like dying from shock.
The bad news is your 'neighbors': there's no cure for stupid.
I hope I haven't offended anyone with this somewhat graphic post. I like dogs, and we always kept ours kenneled when we weren't home.
My sincere condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom