12 mo silky roo develops lump on base of shoulder

Chickychicko

Hatching
Jul 26, 2021
Last Friday the roo came out of his coop with the wing dragging on the ground. It looked like he had blood on his perfectly white feathers and that he was pecking himself. Here is the anamnesis. We were on a trip for 2 weeks, and all our flock came to our neighbor's barn. We have heard that the silky roo was attacking our big old lavender orphingon roo and had to be put into a cage at the end. That behavior quickly stopped when the flock came back home.
So we noticed for the last week the silky had a forlorn look, did not jump on hens, he did not fly up to roost at night but was otherwise eating, ranging with the rest.

I really became alarmed only at the sight of the dragging wing and him pecking himself to blood. It is so hot and humid here - I discovered on an inspection, his flesh was a mess at the base of the wing , smelly, and infested with insects. He is a very feisty and some what aggressive character, but he is getting used to his bi-daily treatments and cooperates to a point but then tries to jump/fly off the table. He is able to perch on the edge. Because he was obviously pecking himself, it is hard to say if the lump was there first or is a result of his pecking and then - infection. He is separated to the hay strewn cart in the garage.

So far, I cleaned and stopped bleeding of his shoulder/wing. No insects. No rotten flesh as far as I can tell ( his skin is black naturally), there are scabs. But the lump is hard and very hot ( on top of humerus and on underneath the wing. The wing is limp, I am making a kind of a sling to hold it to his body. He eats and drinks. Poop is watery. He makes gentle noise and walks around a bit but limping.
What I am doing: Washing with tons of herbal tea using nettles and oregano from garden, I had to put down alcohol once - he really hated that; putting drawing poultices with clay, activated charcoal, turmeric, OG cayenne pepper, aloe, Epsom salt, baking soda, bandaging and slinging. I am worried that I cannot dry his wing and underneath. If I leave the area unbandaged, he starts pecking himself. Also not sure what is inside the lump. I see no oozing. His skin is black and injured on his wing=scapula and it is really hard to know what is going on. Skin seems fine on the underneath of wing. Giving him some human vitamins. Maybe he needs butter? I am really not an antibioic person at all but maybe it's time. Where can I get it in MI? I will def. try Pulsatilla/rescue remedy homeopathy in water tomorrow.

I lost my sleep over him. I appreciate suggestions. Can I cut his long feathers on wings a bit so that he does not step on them when w/o sling, and it would be one less thing to be wet, improve ventilation. I do not know if that is painful for them?

I lost my sleep over him. I appreciate suggestions. Can I cut his long feathers on wings a bit so that he does not step on them when w/o sling, and it would be one less thing to be wet, improve ventilation. I do not know if that is painful for them?
It is not painful. Not if you do it right. It seems like you are doing a good job so far.
@JustAChickenLoverOverHere @CHlCKEN @JacinLarkwell

When you moved the flock it likely caused a lot of stress on the birds thus stirring up some rather aggressive squabbles between the roosters (and probably the hens too).

Hes still showing signs of stress by Pecking himself (Though I'm not clear on whether this occurred before or after the move back home) but not flying up to the roost could be due to his injury if its really that severe. Not mounting is also probably just due to the fact that your other rooster is dominant over him.

Im no expert on treating wounds so I'll leave that part to someone who can give a proper answer.

My advice: next time dont move the whole flock. Its dangerous and will stir up a lot of problems. Just pay someone to come by and check on them at home.

Back
Top Bottom