12 week old BO can't get up on roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by empireranch, Sep 16, 2010.

1. empireranch

empireranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    I have a mixed flock of 7 (hopefully) pullets - 12 weeks old. At night, 6 get up to the highest roost via a lower roost that is about 2 feet off the ground. The BO cannot get up to the first roost, so we added a lower roost at about 6" to help to get her started. Of course, she won't use the "step" and wanders around at bedtime looking rather confused as the rest stare down at her. Each night I climb in and put her up high with the rest, only to find her still there at 6.30am each morning as she can't get down. Do I lower the all the roosts to accommodate her or start working on a ramp system so she can roost high with the rest?

2. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    2 feet is a pretty high jump. All the roosting poles/bars I've seen have either had a ramp, or are about 1 foot apart height wise.

3. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Ya, maybe you should lower the all the roosts to accommodate her...

4. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Out of the three pullets I have, my BO had more difficulty with going up and down the roosts early on. She's ok now though. I had intermediate roosts and ramps to help them, but now I have no ramps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by