12 Week Old Chick not walking properly

I have a silkie who got clumsier and clumsier until she couldn't stand upright, only lay on her side. After doing some research, I learned that she was suffering from lack of vitamins. I now have her inside my house, and after four days on vitamins B and E, she is stronger in her legs but still not able to stand. She seems to be getting slightly better. Does your chicken get clumsier every day? PS: your chicken looks so cute!

This morning we found her as you described above couldn't stand upright and was on her side struggling to get up. My partner massaged her legs and she does have a go at standing up but still prefers to sit. She is eating and drinking ok but as they are supposed to grub all day I'm not sure she is eating enough. She sleeps a lot. We have given her some Poultry Tonic in her water which contains vitamins and minerals.

This is a picture of her poo. It's greenish in colour but I think that is because the tonic is that colour?

We don't know what to do for the best. Don't want her suffering but how long before you say enough is enough?

I could cry every time she/he falls over. :(

Riboflavin deficiency is very treatable with vitamin B2 or B complex in her diet or water. I would guess that that is what she may have, but as Seminole wind said, it could be early signs of Mareks. But I would treat her aggressively with the vitamin tonic for a period of a couple of weeks before giving up. Here is a link to read and below is an excerpt from Merck Manual:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

RIBOFLAVIN DEFICIENCY

Many tissues may be affected by riboflavin deficiency, although the epithelium and the myelin sheaths of some of the main nerves are major targets. Changes in the sciatic nerves produce “curled-toe” paralysis in growing chickens. Egg production is affected, and riboflavin-deficient eggs do not hatch. When chicks are fed a diet deficient in riboflavin, their appetite is fairly good but they grow slowly, become weak and emaciated, and develop diarrhea between the first and second weeks. Deficient chicks are reluctant to move unless forced and then frequently walk on their hocks with the aid of their wings. The leg muscles are atrophied and flabby, and the skin is dry and harsh. In advanced stages of deficiency, the chicks lie prostrate with their legs extended, sometimes in opposite directions. The characteristic sign of riboflavin deficiency is a marked enlargement of the sciatic and brachial nerve sheaths; sciatic nerves usually show the most pronounced effects. Histologic examination of the affected nerves shows degenerative changes in the myelin sheaths that, when severe, pinch the nerve. This produces a permanent stimulus, which causes the curled-toe paralysis.
Signs of riboflavin deficiency in the hen are decreased egg production, increased embryonic mortality, and an increase in size and fat content of the liver. Hatchability declines within 2 wk when hens are fed a riboflavin-deficient diet, but returns to near normal when riboflavin is restored. Affected embryos are dwarfed and show characteristically defective “clubbed” down. The nervous system of these embryos shows degenerative changes much like those described in riboflavin-deficient chicks.
Signs of riboflavin deficiency first appear at 10 days of incubation, when embryos become hypoglycemic and accumulate intermediates of fatty acid oxidation. Although flavin-dependent enzymes are depressed with riboflavin deficiency, the main effect seems to be impaired fatty acid oxidation, which is a critical function in the developing embryo. An autosomal recessive trait blocks the formation of the riboflavin-binding protein needed for transport of riboflavin to the egg. While the adults appear normal, their eggs fail to hatch regardless of dietary riboflavin content. As eggs become deficient in riboflavin, the egg albumen loses its characteristic yellow color. In fact, albumen color score has been used to assess riboflavin status of birds.
Chicks receiving diets only partially deficient in riboflavin may recover spontaneously, indicating that the requirement rapidly decreases with age. A 100-μg dose should be sufficient for treatment of riboflavin-deficient chicks, followed by incorporation of an adequate level in the diet. However, when the curled-toe deformity is longstanding, irreparable damage occurs in the sciatic nerve, and the administration of riboflavin is no longer curative.
Most diets contain up to 10 mg riboflavin/kg. Treatment can be given as two 100 μg doses for chicks or poults, followed by an adequate amount of riboflavin in feed.

Hiya thank you so much for the above.

The tonic contains most vitamins including B1 and B2.

Have you experienced this before yourself? How long does it take to see an improvement?

We are very conscious that we do the best for her and not the best for us.

But we are stumped. She is very happy in herself eating and drinking but not as much as if she was out with the others.

Hiya thank you so much for the above.

The tonic contains most vitamins including B1 and B2.

Have you experienced this before yourself? How long does it take to see an improvement?

We are very conscious that we do the best for her and not the best for us.

But we are stumped. She is very happy in herself eating and drinking but not as much as if she was out with the others.
Many people have successfully treated riboflavin deficiency which may respond in a week or so if treatment is started early. However, it may not help if the problem has not been recognized. Once again, though this can also be an early symptom of Mareks disease, though I certainly hope not. Please give up an update soon.

Thank you.

Well still no improvement today :(

We keep giving her the tonic but one of her legs her toes are curled so we keep trying to get her to straightened it.

Its so so difficult. I adore her but I also have to think of the others which is why we have separated them.

She does call for them though as the hen who brought her up is part of the flock. Breaks my heart.

Its so frustrating as she was fine one day then not.

She has the sweetest nature and I so don't want to lose her.

She is eating and drinking though but I can tell that she doesn't understand what is happening with her.

Are there any other symptoms with the other disease you mention?

We of course want to give her the best chance of a recovery but as I said we have to weigh up if we doing the right thing for her.

Thank you.

We keep giving her the tonic but one of her legs her toes are curled so we keep trying to get her to straightened it.

Its so so difficult. I adore her but I also have to think of the others which is why we have separated them.

She does call for them though as the hen who brought her up is part of the flock. Breaks my heart.

She is eating and drinking though but I can tell that she doesn't understand what is happening with her.

We of course want to give her the best chance of a recovery but as I said we have to weigh up if we doing the right thing for her.

This is exactly how I feel with my little silkie who can't walk. After six days on vitamin B and E, she is stronger, but can't balance. She is frustrated that she can't stand, and I'm frustrated as I watch her. I also have to give her water through an eyedropper because when she drinks out of a regular watered, she face plants in it, and I have to dry her off. I really want to know when she's going to get better. Good luck with your chicken, are you having the same problems I am?

This is exactly how I feel with my little silkie who can't walk. After six days on vitamin B and E, she is stronger, but can't balance. She is frustrated that she can't stand, and I'm frustrated as I watch her. I also have to give her water through an eyedropper because when she drinks out of a regular watered, she face plants in it, and I have to dry her off. I really want to know when she's going to get better. Good luck with your chicken, are you having the same problems I am?

Hey Suzie. Ours can stand up briefly to drink and poop. She has face planted a few times worst one being when her beak got stuck in the soil on the lawn, cried my eyes out but she coped with it better than I did.

She doesn't fall in her water and does shuffle about very rarely. She tends to just sit all the time now. What gets me is that her eyes are bright, she chats away but then sometimes has her quiet moments.

Its hard isn't it because you don't want to say enough is enough in case you being too hasty but at the same time I keep asking myself if we are being fair to her?

Hey Suzie. Ours can stand up briefly to drink and poop. She has face planted a few times worst one being when her beak got stuck in the soil on the lawn, cried my eyes out but she coped with it better than I did.

She doesn't fall in her water and does shuffle about very rarely. She tends to just sit all the time now. What gets me is that her eyes are bright, she chats away but then sometimes has her quiet moments.

Its hard isn't it because you don't want to say enough is enough in case you being too hasty but at the same time I keep asking myself if we are being fair to her?

This is how soot used to be but she got worse and worse. Hope this doesn't happen to your chicken.

Thank you.

Could you place her in a cage near the other chickens so that she has company? At least in the daytime she could be with her buddies.

Back
Top Bottom