12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lock down duck day for me :wee. No more hand turning! I know I need to increase the humidity but should I lower the temperature? I've read to leave it but then seen to reduce it. Tips welcome, my first duck incubation.
It is something new, to my knowledge, that some people will lower the temperature a degree or two. It’s not necessary, it’s just possible.

All right, it was day 10 for the youngest eggs in last night and I'm ready to call it. Four clears. I still have two embryos going strong, though. :fl

What would y'all suggest to do for air cells that are still not growing as fast as they should despite no water in the incubator and the vent being open all the way? I'm currently just popping the incubator open every now and then and hoping that all the humidity escapes when I do, but I'm kind of concerned now because they look like day 7 air cells still and Friday is the day 14 'average' for both eggs. There's only been minimal air cell growth since the day 7 candling and I can't seem to convince them to do any more than that. 😬

All right, it was day 10 for the youngest eggs in last night and I'm ready to call it. Four clears. I still have two embryos going strong, though. :fl

What would y'all suggest to do for air cells that are still not growing as fast as they should despite no water in the incubator and the vent being open all the way? I'm currently just popping the incubator open every now and then and hoping that all the humidity escapes when I do, but I'm kind of concerned now because they look like day 7 air cells still and Friday is the day 14 'average' for both eggs. There's only been minimal air cell growth since the day 7 candling and I can't seem to convince them to do any more than that. 😬
Is the humidity actually too high? If it is, a pantyhose filled with dry rice will suck out the excess moisture. I have to tell you that I didn’t think my air cells were growing as they should, and I too knew that it shouldn’t be like that. However, last night they were right on target.

I've just locked my eggs down as one has internally pipped and another is close.

Any malposition experts here? My one that has internally pipped has its beak at the wrong side of the air cell (the high side, not the low side), but I can see its beak quite clearly. Some of our Araucana have vaulted skulls so that's possibly the reason. Do I need to do anything special for it?
Watch for liquid in the pip and clean it if you see it.

Air cells usually draw down making a lot of room for pipping

Is the humidity actually too high? If it is, a pantyhose filled with dry rice will suck out the excess moisture. I have to tell you that I didn’t think my air cells were growing as they should, and I too knew that it shouldn’t be like that. However, last night they were right on target.

I can't actually say for sure because I don't have a hygrometer in there :oops:

Thank you for the info, though, and the reassurance.
forehead wipe whew.gif
I tend to be a worrier and these air cells are definitely causing me anxiety right now. :p

I can't actually say for sure because I don't have a hygrometer in there :oops:

Thank you for the info, though, and the reassurance. View attachment 2593137 I tend to be a worrier and these air cells are definitely causing me anxiety right now. :p
I knew you didn’t have one. You would have mentioned it if you did. :hugs It’s okay. You are at least keeping track of the air cells. Try dry rice in some container. However, it really could be okay. Pictures help.

Do not worry so much about the air cell size!

It is bad for the hatch to have humidity below 30% for a long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom