12x60 run too narrow?

Jamesthesilkie

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
North Carolina
I've searched this a bit, and the majority is for coops. I've lost a lot of chickens to predators recently and need to build them a run. The run can really only be 12 feet wide and I'm worried this may be too narrow. Currently I have 15 chickens that would be here but hope to rebuild my flock to 20-30 chickens in the future.

There is an additional 15 by 20 space around the coop they would have, as the coop is raised and is 8x8

I've searched this a bit, and the majority is for coops. I've lost a lot of chickens to predators recently and need to build them a run. The run can really only be 12 feet wide and I'm worried this may be too narrow. Currently I have 15 chickens that would be here but hope to rebuild my flock to 20-30 chickens in the future.

There is an additional 15 by 20 space around the coop they would have, as the coop is raised and is 8x8
That is a good amount square foot wise...

12 feet should be wide enough for a picked on bird to shoot past a bully.

So, should work great, but do keep a close eye out for any bullies or super subservient individuals.

That is a good amount square foot wise...

12 feet should be wide enough for a picked on bird to shoot past a bully.

So, should work great, but do keep a close eye out for any bullies or super subservient individuals.
Thanks! I definitely will be watching them a lot the first week. If anyone is doing too much picking I'll isolate them for a few days. But I am really hoping they enjoy it. I'm sure they prefer free ranging but as of now they just hide in a bush most of the day. Poor things

Should work just fine. When I caution folks on narrow runs, they're usually something like 4-5' wide (even seen some 3' wide), which does not allow for chickens that aren't getting along to safely pass by one another.

Assuming you go with the full 12x60 you definitely will have space for 30 birds. Coop may be tight at 8x8 for 30, unless you're keeping mostly bantams?

Last edited:
Should work just fine. When I caution folks on narrow runs, they're usually something like 4-5' wide (even seen some 3' wide), which does not allow for chickens that aren't getting along to safely pass by one another.

Assuming you go with the full 12x60 you definitely will have space for 30 birds. Coop may be tight at 8x8 for 30, unless you're keeping mostly bantams?

Thank you! I have a second coop that is 15 sq ft that 5 of my newer chickens stay in. And also have 2 game hens that will only roost in a tree 🙄🙄 but I'm only at 15 right now and I'll see how they do by probably adding 5 new chicks every few months

Back
Top Bottom