13 week old chick laying on ground

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I have a 13 week old chick that constantly jumps off the roost at night and goes to sleep on the floor. She will jump up on the roost when it’s time to go to bed but half way through the night she’ll jump down. Does anyone know why she’s doing this or how i can fix it?

I have cameras in my coop and run, there’s been no pecking or chasing for the past week and a half. She sleeps on a different end of the roost then the others. This has happened the past 2-3 nights at different times, she will just jump down and then sleep on the floor.
I dunno, unless there's strong draft there....I wouldn't worry about it.

As aart noted as long as there's no draft in the spot where she's roosting (and I didn't see feather ruffling in the video) then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had birds that wanted to sleep on the floor for one reason or another, but as long as it wasn't due to health reasons they eventually went back up on the roost.

As aart noted as long as there's no draft in the spot where she's roosting (and I didn't see feather ruffling in the video) then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had birds that wanted to sleep on the floor for one reason or another, but as long as it wasn't due to health reasons they eventually went back up on the roost.
very interesting! i always thought that they would roost

I have 2 who prefer the floor. As long as they aren't in a nest box ir getting pooped on by sleeping under the others, I just let them. She's just quirky, I guess. Nothing you're doing wrong.
☺️

On a side note: What camera do you use? I am considering getting one, and I'm looking for recommendations!

I have cameras in my coop and run, there’s been no pecking or chasing for the past week and a half. She sleeps on a different end of the roost then the others. This has happened the past 2-3 nights at different times, she will just jump down and then sleep on the floor.

Sorry. I find the video really funny! She wakes up, then another wakes up, then the other two wake up. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom