13 week old peahen leg injury

Farmgirlmills

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2023
Have a young peahen. In her enclosed area she flew up and into wall. Hurt leg. Not sure if slipped tendon or broke it. Can't find a vet to look at her. Frustrating. I am on a wait list, 6 months. As she is growing she us now scooting no longer trying to walk on it. Made a sling for her to make sure she can eat and drink. Lots of hands loving her, holding her but honestly I'm not sure she's going to make it if we can't get her some help. In colorado. I've even called zoo to see if their vets would be willing to look at her. Receptionist rude, said they weren't a rescue. Ugh!

Have you tried feeling it to see if you could feel a break or dislocation? Like compare what you feel in one leg to the other?

Here's a site that has lots of information about different types of leg injuries and suggested treatments and even on suggested Bayer or baby aspirin dosage if she's seeming in pain. It's great you made her a sling.

I'm tagging a couple folks I know have more knowledge about this than I do who might have more/better advice. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

It was a slipped tendon. We tried to message it but to no avail. Became unsure if it was broken. It wasn't broke. Her other leg couldn't handle her growth so became infected. Finally got into a vet and they wouldn't help other than to put her down.

I can't describe my heartbreak for this little one.

Attachments

• 20230919_170005.jpg
    20230919_170005.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 3
It was a slipped tendon. We tried to message it but to no avail. Became unsure if it was broken. It wasn't broke. Her other leg couldn't handle her growth so became infected. Finally got into a vet and they wouldn't help other than to put her down.

I can't describe my heartbreak for this little one.
I'm very sorry about your Peahen, how heartbreaking :hugs

Back
Top Bottom