13 week olds, slow, wings dropped, drink a lot of water, watery poop

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
One died of this 2 days ago. They don't move much, only drink water, are slow, wobbly, wings dropped down, won't take food from me. The best chick in the batch is now sick. What do I do?? I don't have anything to put in their water and it's late, so all stores are closed today. I can't afford to lose this chick, let alone have any more die. It's been hard enough trying to get ahold of hatching eggs from that breeder. I've heard from old people that 2 round black peppers are the best medicine for chickens, so should I try that?

It may be coccidiosis, common treatment is amprolium (Corid, Amprol, Ampromed are some brands), I don't know what you have access to in Lavia. Do a search for available coccidiostats in your country. I would treat as soon as possible for that.

It may be coccidiosis, common treatment is amprolium (Corid, Amprol, Ampromed are some brands), I don't know what you have access to in Lavia. Do a search for available coccidiostats in your country. I would treat as soon as possible for that.
How much time do you think the ones that are already sick have?

That is very hard to say. Coccidiosis can kill very quickly, but it depends on the strain (there are about 9 strains that affect chickens), some strains are more virulent than others. The best chance of recovery is had by treating as soon as possible once symptoms show up. If you have anyone nearby that has chickens or other livestock, they may have a coccidiostat on hand that you could get from them, and then replace theirs when you can get some.

No one nearby has chickens. It sounds like it could be coccidiosis. The chicks are very light and they don't have much weight. I'm gonna try calling a local vet store to see if maybe they have something for coccidiosis.

Some medications that are used for other livestock, like cattle, can also be used for chickens. I hope you are able to locate something, good luck.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get some medicine in the morning. Is there anything I can do right now to make it easier for them or up the chances of them making it overnight? Is there any point in separating the sick ones if it'll spread anyway?

They have probably already been exposed, assuming it's coccidiosis. If the sick ones are sick enough then separating them so they don't get trampled on may help. I've never tried it, but supposedly buttermilk can be helpful and buy them some time. So with no other options, I might try that, if you can get some buttermilk. Put that in dishes and give that exclusively until you can get the medication.
https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com...310580400085f570351&rr=7ddf15a54fe612e3&cc=us

Back
Top Bottom