13wo Golden Comet suddenly can't stand and is gasping

JQ127

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2015
Hi everyone first post though I've been on this site many times since I got my 4 chickens a few weeks ago. We have 4 Golden Comets now 13 weeks old. All were healthy till 2 days ago when I found Red laying on her side in the dirt. She can't stand and acts drunk-no equilibrium. Called a few pals with chickens and they think it's mold intoxication. Folks at my local feed store gave me Terra Vet 10 which she's been taking for 24 hours. She's slowly going downhill and getting quieter it seems.

Still eats with gusto tho I feed her and give her fluids thru an eye dropper thing. I have her inside in a box next to me so she's comfortable. Eyes are closed and she's doing the gasping thing as she's sitting there. When I pick her up she wakes up and appears to have plenty of pep in her still. When I put her back down she does the gasping thing nonstop. She opens her mouth like a baby bird wanting to be fed. I've read about vitamin B maybe helping? Not sure where I would buy it. Just figured I'd reach out to see if anyone has any ideas. The other 3 chickens are fine. I took Red out of the pen as soon as she got sick. Hoping she makes it thru tonite and turns the corner soon. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joe

Welcome to BYC. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would get some SaveAChick poultry vitamins with electrolytes in her water,or some Poultry Nutri-Drench and give her 3 ml over the course of a day, besides her normal fluid. Is she having any diarrhea or blood in her poops? Has she been eating or has she been hunched or lethargic? Coccidiosis which is an intestinal infection common in young chickens, can cause those symptoms, and is treated with Corid (amprollium) in the water. Mareks is a virus that is common, and can cause many varied symptoms including loss of balance, paralysis of one or both legs or wings, or weakness. Please update us on her condition after the electrolytes. Try giving her some egg and add some water to make her feed wet and soupy.

I am waiting to hear back from the farmer I got her from as far as Marek's vaccination. He said she was vaccinated and we think that was it. No blood and has a little diarrhea . She's stopped chirping and is getting lethargic. Just sits there slowly gasping with her eyes closed. I'll run to the feed store and get some Nutri Drench and Corid. Should I try both or just try the Nutri Drench first you think? She's noticably worse than yesterday. I was hoping the tetracycline would help but hasn't done a thing. I have been feeding her by hand-she appears to weak to eat or drink on her own at this point.Thank you so much for the response!

I'm giving Red a little plain yogurt mixed with liquid B12 and a bit of Boost. She loves it and ate it all. Gave her some regular food too which she eagerly ate. Wish she'd stop that gasping-she did it all night and it seems to be draining her energy. She's perked up a bit after the yogurt and food. I'm heading to the feed store to find some Nutri Drench and see if those folks have any suggestions.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain at least. I've been sort of moving her around a bit so she's not lying in one position for too long. Not sure if that's something to worry about-her muscles atrophying (if that's a word) from lack of movement. Still seems limber enough though. Looks like she's ready for a nap after the meal now..........

How was she doing this evening? Usually with cocci, they will not want to eat. It is good that she is wanting to eat, and I would give her the Nutri-drench, plus some extra fluids. How is her balance and trying to walk? The Nutri-drench has vitamins plus amino acids and minerals, so it can help if it is a vitamin deficency. If she stops eating and drinking, I would give the Corid, but the Corid won't hurt her any way.

Thanks for the reply. She's slowly going downhill. I'll try to get Corid tomorrow. She ate fairly well today but is acting weird. She is still doing the gasping thing but now her eyes are usually shut and she's arching her head almost completely backwards as she gasps. Now her eyes are open and she's slowly stretching her neck out as she gasps and then jerks her head back. She hasn't made a sound in over 24 hours. I just feel bad cos she's been doing the gasping thing pretty much nonstop for 36 hours now. She acts like she has brain damage honestly. I was hoping she'd turn the corner what with the food and fluid intake today but nothing has helped. We're gonna give it a day or two but we feel bad with the constant gasping. She must be exhausted the poor thing. I'll give an update tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the reply. She's slowly going downhill. I'll try to get Corid tomorrow. She ate fairly well today but is acting weird. She is still doing the gasping thing but now her eyes are usually shut and she's arching her head almost completely backwards as she gasps. Now her eyes are open and she's slowly stretching her neck out as she gasps and then jerks her head back. She hasn't made a sound in over 24 hours. I just feel bad cos she's been doing the gasping thing pretty much nonstop for 36 hours now. She acts like she has brain damage honestly. I was hoping she'd turn the corner what with the food and fluid intake today but nothing has helped. We're gonna give it a day or two but we feel bad with the constant gasping. She must be exhausted the poor thing. I'll give an update tomorrow morning.

It may be more humane to cull her sooner rather than later, but thats up to you. On a more positive note, welcome to BYC!

Good luck
CT

Thanks Ken. She's looking better this morning. Eyes are full open and she ate well. Still gasping slowly though. We're gonna give it today and see how she is. If she's not better I'm going to cull her. She doesn't appear to be in any pain at least................

I'm sorry to hear that she is not doing well, but hopefully today she could be turning around. Hopefully that will continue. Are you using 1 tablespoonful ( 3tsp.) per gallon of water of the Terravet? If not, then I would increase the dosage, and give her a some concentrated a few drops twice today. Tylan 50 injectable is more potent, and can be given orally or by injection (1/2 ml for her size, twice a day for 5 days if you are giving it orally.) Gasping is a typical symptom of a respiratory disease, such as bronchitis or aspergillosis. I hope she makes it, but the state vets in the US can perform a necropsy to look for a cause of death, such as Mareks or one of the other diseases. Here is a link for that: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Oh man I apologize to everyone helping us out because of my not posting lately. I myself got severely ill and haven't been online since my last post on here. I had very high fever for a few days-went to the doc and now my temp is low and I still feel crappy so I was just too sick to post.............Back to Red we kept an eye on her and it was clear she wasn't going to make it so we culled her a day ago. She'd stiffened up and had no movement in her body but her right side a little bit. We tried to move her left leg around but it hurt her too much-at least it appeared so-she squawked loudly-so we decided to let her go. The only thing we can figure out tho was it was that mold intoxication. There was one bowl of old food in a corner of the coop that we didn't notice till afterwards that had some moldy food in it. She was the one always running around the most pecking at anything so it would make sense she got into that and the others didn't luckily. Anyway I'm going to get another Golden Comet the same age as Red from the farmer I got her from as soon as I feel up to it. Again thanks for the help and support and I'll be chiming in with more questions no doubt soon!

Back
Top Bottom