14 month old old flock and mating questions

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
My flock has been normal until a couple weeks now. This is August and my hens are getting their feathers growing back on their backs, as if the Rooster has not been breeding them. My new pullets, 11 weeks old, are laying as well as the adults, however the new pullets are not being mounted either and don't show any signs of it. My black Australorp rooster is fine and no one is in molt. Is this normal?

I figured something might be wrong as the degree of the feathers growing in, it's been a long while. As far as the pullets I guess "he" knows that the eggs are still small and probably wouldn't be fertile? The older girls are my concern as he isn't doing anything with them.

I also sell fertile eggs and don't want to be responsible to selling non fertile eggs.. so "Just let nature do its thing" is not an answer. Somebody must have an explanation to share or experience. That is why I posted this, not for "Just let nature do its thing".

I also sell fertile eggs and don't want to be responsible to selling non fertile eggs.. so "Just let nature do its thing" is not an answer. Somebody must have an explanation to share or experience. That is why I posted this, not for "Just let nature do its thing".
That would have been helpful information in the beginning of your thread - it also seemed to me that you were just concerned about the health of your flock...

And it could be that nature is "doing its thing". When the days start getting shorter, hormones decrease and the mating instinct isn't quite so strong. You can crack a few eggs open and check for fertility.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

Last edited:
That would have been helpful information in the beginning of your thread - it also seemed to me that you were just concerned about the health of your flock...

And it could be that nature is "doing its thing". When the days start getting shorter, hormones decrease and the mating instinct isn't quite so strong. You can crack a few eggs open and check for fertility.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I have extended light available for year round production..this did not happen last year

Back
Top Bottom