14-week chickens panting in Humidity! Should I be worried?

May 30, 2022
Hi all!
So generally, the behavior of my 14-week-old hens has been healthy, according to my research and they seem happy. They have been outside overnight and during the days as of about a week ago, and they have been taking visits, and spending some days out as of about 6 weeks I think. They were very happy and I wanted to bring them outside much earlier than I have but the weather was inconsistent (PA) and we had many frustrating technical difficulties without coop and run. The weather around us had been 60-75 generally but yesterday it was up to 97 and pretty humid. They had fresh water the whole day and during the evening I put their little chickie waterers and feeders, which are smaller and fit in one of our nesting boxes, into the coop with them so they could drink in the night if they needed. First, is that a good idea so they don't get overheated or is it unnecessary to have water and food in their coop overnight?
Second, I noticed some of them were panting (beaks open breathing) when they had gone into their coop in the evening and I was checking on them. I tried to encourage those of them that were panting to drink some water, and I opened the door leading into the run a little bit open so there will hopefully be more ventilation! Should I worry about them, when it is humid and/or goes into the high 90's? (stupid global warming lol) I had heard some people suggest a battery-operated fan that could help with ventilation and is there anything else I can do? As a first-time chicken mama, I could be completely over-reacting, but I just want to make sure I am helping them as I can!
Good luck in this heat folks!
-Groovy Chicken Girl :)

Last edited:
Hi there! I live in Florida, so 90F+ temps are the norm for many months. They should be fine as long as they have access to shade and fresh water. I don't provide any water in the coop; they are only in there to sleep at night so I don't think they would use it even if I provided it. It sounds like you helped them acclimate slowly to the outdoors, which is helpful. Some great heat-busters include frozen watermelon rinds and spraying down the whole run with a hose. It's also helpful if you have shady areas with dirt/sand so that they can dig around and access the cooler groung.

A fan would likely help, but isn't generally necessary. What breed(s) do you have? Some are more heat-tolerant than others.

Hi there! I live in Florida, so 90F+ temps are the norm for many months. They should be fine as long as they have access to shade and fresh water. I don't provide any water in the coop; they are only in there to sleep at night so I don't think they would use it even if I provided it. It sounds like you helped them acclimate slowly to the outdoors, which is helpful. Some great heat-busters include frozen watermelon rinds and spraying down the whole run with a hose. It's also helpful if you have shady areas with dirt/sand so that they can dig around and access the cooler groung.

A fan would likely help, but isn't generally necessary. What breed(s) do you have? Some are more heat-tolerant than others.
Okay, thank you very much for the information and advice! I will try some water mellon and extend their shady area :) I have 5 sapphire gem hens. Also, is chickens panting a normal thing like it is for dogs or a concerning sign?

Also in FL, also above 90, also humid. @swamphiker is absolutely correct. Open mouth panting, deep dust bathing (preferably in the shade, much laying on their sides, one wing extended - all efforts to keep cool. All completely normal. We get about 7 - 8 months per year of those behaviors.

...and while its hard on a bird, and some take it better than others, I have dark brahma with their tiny pea combs, heavy feathering, and feathered feet who have begun their third year of these conditions.

Also in FL, also above 90, also humid. @swamphiker is absolutely correct. Open mouth panting, deep dust bathing (preferably in the shade, much laying on their sides, one wing extended - all efforts to keep cool. All completely normal. We get about 7 - 8 months per year of those behaviors.

...and while its hard on a bird, and some take it better than others, I have dark brahma with their tiny pea combs, heavy feathering, and feathered feet who have begun their third year of these conditions.
It’s so reliving to know that these are normal behaviours- and I will continue to look out for more critical signs of extreme heat exhaustion. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom