14-week old Roo VS 5 year-old hens...hens got OWNED!

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
I decided to let my 14week old pullets + 1 roo free range at the same time as my 1 year 3 month old hens. They are separated now but will all be in one coop in the fall. I figured at least they can get away from each other while free ranging and sooner or later the pecking order will need to be established. The little sexlink roo is growing fast and he is about the same size as the hens. He is crowing but no mating yet. (Yes I have a sexlink roo, feedstore/hatchery mix up). Here is the pic of the roo.

28412_100_1964.jpg

I was working in the garden keeping an eye on everyone all the hens are dust bathing and the roo and pullets are hanging by the coop. About 15 minutes later I hear the chicken battle. I look up and see the 14 week old roo made his way over to the hens by himself and he is fighting with the Alpha hen, #2 Isa Brown and #4 BO hen all at the same time. They are all ganging up on him but he is giving it back, with his hackle feathers all ruffled out. The Alpha hen backs down quickly, he then pins #2 to the ground and he gives her two thumps on the head and she gives up, # 4 BO gives up the fight, Hen #3 SLW come in for a piece of him and she is sent running quickly. The #5 SS omega hen is just standing off to the side like “I want none of this.” Then he starts chasing hens 1-4 and the hens want no part of him.

The hens got OWNED!!

I headed over to get the little roo back to his coop. He proved his point. All hail to the new King!

Back
Top Bottom