14 weekers...what's my roo count?

hannahshatchery

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
I did have two existing threads on these guys but wasn't get responses on my updates so I am starting a new one again, hope that's ok. Here's the link to the old thread in case you want the older pics of these guys...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/810597/what-did-i-really-get/30#post_11750443

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/815848/updated-pics-of-my-flock-of-misfits#post_11924223

I got them from a lady on Craigslist, and they are pretty much nothing that she said they were, which is fine, they are hatchery chicks and just pets for us. They are almost 15 weeks from what she said.

Anyway, I am obviously quite aware I definitely have one roo, has been crowing for a few weeks. Someone had suggested he might be a Partridge Wynadotte before, whatever he is, he's quite lovely and we are enjoying him. My question about him is, is he a banty? He's a little smaller than the others (except the Brahma who I am sure is a banty). He developed very quickly, he had a large comb and wattles by ten weeks and started crowing at maybe 11 weeks.

Here he is with the others for size reference...

The dark brahma I have been told is most likely a bantam cockerel. He has no tail feathers at all, but was very slow to feather generally. I am also seeing some blue/green to his feathers. So he is definitely a he right?

My SLW is one I am really on the fence over, I did have a pair of SLW's and this was the one I thought might be a boy. We lost the pullet a few weeks ago so now I don't have her for comparison but I'm really not sure on this one. I'm really hoping for a pullet...thoughts?

Then I have two presumed red sex links, so they should be girls, but there are some little differences between the two that have me concerned. This one has a little more white and a slightly bigger comb. But again, I'm really hoping for a girl. What do you think?

We hope to keep everybody, regardless of gender, until it appears they cannot live together harmoniously. So far they all snuggle up together every night in the same nesting box so we are hopeful. But our coop isn't big enough for any more, and we really need at least 2 hens to fulfill our family's egg needs, which was the whole point of getting a flock!!

I have heard the old saying you only know what they are when they crow or they lay and it looks like we'll be waiting on this for final confirmation, but I am very grateful for any input from you all in the meantime.

Thanks!

OK, I'll give it a shot.

1) Rose comb light brown leghorn. I don't think that he is a bantam - leghorns are just more slightly built.

2) Dark brahma Most likely a cockerel. Only about 85 % on this one.

3) SLW - pullet.

4) Sex links - pullets.

OK, I'll give it a shot.

1) Rose comb light brown leghorn. I don't think that he is a bantam - leghorns are just more slightly built.

2) Dark brahma Most likely a cockerel. Only about 85 % on this one.

3) SLW - pullet.

4) Sex links - pullets.

That would be wonderful! Let's hope you are right :) The brown leghorn makes total sense! Thanks for you input :)

Rooster: Rose-comb Light-Brown Leghorn. Not a Wyandotte, as they are stockier and rounder in build. Not a bantam, either; Leghorns are just generally smaller, lighter birds.
Dark Brahma: Probably a cockerel, but not 100% sure of that.
Silver-Laced Wyandotte: Pullet
Red Sex-links: All pullets.

Beautiful rooster! I've always loved Light-Brown Leghorns.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom