14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Still hand-turning my overstuffed incubator. Might or might not candle tonight -- though I wouldn't pull any eggs yet because even with the Ovascope I lack confidence in detecting issues.

Which, it occurs to me, makes a good case for candling tonight if I have time. Because then I could implement my policy of not pulling eggs that haven't failed two successive candlings a little sooner by also candling on Sunday and pulling clears and early quitters then.

I do get tired of hand-turning, but need evidence that my fertility levels have improved before not stacking.
I hate hand turning as well. I marked mine yesterday of ones I thought may be clear but wasn't 100% yet, ones that were a ? Yolks looked darker but no development and 2 that looked like they quit as it was just a single red line..... I did remove 1 that was for sure a clear and the yolk was glowing yellow. I will check again probably tomorrow on day 6 and see if any changes and maybe get to none stacked. But I do have almost a full incubator of ones developing.

I hate hand turning as well. I marked mine yesterday of ones I thought may be clear but wasn't 100% yet, ones that were a ? Yolks looked darker but no development and 2 that looked like they quit as it was just a single red line..... I did remove 1 that was for sure a clear and the yolk was glowing yellow. I will check again probably tomorrow on day 6 and see if any changes and maybe get to none stacked. But I do have almost a full incubator of ones developing.

I didn't end up candling last night because I was tired, but maybe tonight.

Did 2 early candles this week. Worried about the air cells on these shipped eggs. 14/17 are growing. 3 still have really bad air cells (rolling and saddle.
I have had some shipped eggs with HORRIBLY saddled air cells that I wasn't sure what would happen. They hatched perfectly fine and the chicks are now 7-8 mo old and doing great.

I have had some shipped eggs with HORRIBLY saddled air cells that I wasn't sure what would happen. They hatched perfectly fine and the chicks are now 7-8 mo old and doing great.
That is good news!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom