14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Well, set back in the incubation process. Guess that is what is expected with a cheaper incubator off Amazon. The digital display is on the fritz. It appears to be keeping temperature as alarm works if temp drops, fan and rotator are functioning. Hoping for the best nothing else quits. Unplugged already to try reset but didn't reset display. 🙁
Well, I am officially out unfortunately 🙁 Incubator has now cooked the embryos. 😭

I candled 9 eggs. (I would have sworn that there were only 8.) All 9 are developing. Queenie is doing an excellent job of brooding.
We are on day 6, the egg development looks like more.
I didn't think to weigh them. I'll get a photo or two tomorrow.

I've read that bantam eggs develop faster and hatch earlier.
Do any of you have experience with incubating bantam eggs? Is this true?

Thank you! I cannot return this one as I bought it over 30 days ago. I will definitely look into this one.

I keep a small incubator in case a broody hen quits on me. I bought a mini advanced from Brinsea. They have a scratch and dent section. I got mine for less than $100 a few years ago. It's been an excellent investment.
It holds only 7 eggs, but I usually just give my girls 4 to 6 (we are over-populated) so that's plenty big. It has saved several lives from left behind eggs.

I've read that bantam eggs develop faster and hatch earlier.
Do any of you have experience with incubating bantam eggs? Is this true?

I think it's just a matter of how fast the heat penetrates the egg to start development. Smaller eggs heat up faster than larger eggs, in other words, so they start developing a little sooner. 🙂 For the record, yes, my bantams tend to hatch a day or two early. Especially my OEGBs, but their eggs are also particularly tiny.

I keep a small incubator in case a broody hen quits on me. I bought a mini advanced from Brinsea. They have a scratch and dent section. I got mine for less than $100 a few years ago. It's been an excellent investment.
It holds only 7 eggs, but I usually just give my girls 4 to 6 (we are over-populated) so that's plenty big. It has saved several lives from left behind eggs.
Cool! Thanks!

I think it's just a matter of how fast the heat penetrates the egg to start development. Smaller eggs heat up faster than larger eggs, in other words, so they start developing a little sooner. 🙂 For the record, yes, my bantams tend to hatch a day or two early. Especially my OEGBs, but their eggs are also particularly tiny.
Thank you. That's an excellent explanation. It's already warm here too. It was 80 earlier today.

I couldn't wait to candle my eggs, I did it at three days, then again a couple days later. Always love seeing the little critters developing. :) Cleared out some clear ones, and I think I have a couple quitters ( bummer).
My mom told me she left some more eggs under a broody, so I don't know what I am going to encounter when I go to her place tomorrow. Messes up my plan to conquer the universe.
I now worry about having enough broodies and space, and then the chick food is so $$ these days ( last year I had three chicks and still had to buy two bags of food, I was confused until I found out later my mom let them out during the day and the other hens would come in and eat the food). I was hoping to get 10 chicks, I didn't want to have too many like what happened a few years back. Too many = stressed chickens = dies from Mareks easier.

I don't know how many of the broody hen eggs will be developing though because the hens never seem to go back into the right box, which is why I wasn't particularly happy about leaving eggs under them. But you know how it goes, you try to put them in a dedicated broody coop, and they hate it, and don't sit where you want. No win situation. It's hard not being able to check on them every day/night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom