15% protein too low?

MapleHemp

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2018
Kansas
Hi everyone,

I have 17 pullets, 26-28 weeks of age and 3 are laying. Yay! I'm a first timer!
I have been buying the Nature Wise crumble for layers with 16% protein at my local Atwoods but they have recently ran out and say that they don't plan on restocking the crumbles. They still carry the pellets though.
Their other crumble brand is called Ranch Pro but it is only 15% protein. Is that too low? Id hate to have to drive to the next "big town" and visit the Tractor Supply store but will do that if the Ranch Pro 15% won't meet their needs.
Thoughts?

I think it's too low. Do they have any all flock type feed w higher protein? You can offer oyster shell on the side. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is 20% protein, to all my birds, and the oyster shell free choice, on the side.

I wouldn't. Have you thought about getting a higher protein flock raiser and giving them calcium on the side? My birds seem to get plenty of calcium from free ranging. There is lots of calcium in the dirt and rocks here. I feed 22% flock raiser to my guineas and chickens, whatever brand is freshest.

Hi everyone,

I have 17 pullets, 26-28 weeks of age and 3 are laying. Yay! I'm a first timer!
I have been buying the Nature Wise crumble for layers with 16% protein at my local Atwoods but they have recently ran out and say that they don't plan on restocking the crumbles. They still carry the pellets though.
Their other crumble brand is called Ranch Pro but it is only 15% protein. Is that too low? Id hate to have to drive to the next "big town" and visit the Tractor Supply store but will do that if the Ranch Pro 15% won't meet their needs.
Thoughts?

I don’t go below 16% :)

We don't go below 16% but especially if you have dual purpose birds they will benefit from higher protein.

Leghorns tend to do okay on lower protein because they're a smaller bird. We try to keep 18-20% our minimum protein for our large fowl rare heritage breed birds. Also our guineas and now added this year turkeys will benefit from higher if we can find it. Thankfully our local feed mill sells in bulk and will mix what you like the protein to be.

Thanks everyone, I too felt it was just too low and these responses make me feel better.
I'll just head over to Tractor Supply tomorrow and stock up on our regular layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom