1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

15 wk chicken with a waddle...roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FluffyColor, Sep 24, 2010.

1. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    My 15 week old "hens" have been doing great. Today, though, I noticed the RSL's comb is bigger compared to the Cochin's. "She" also has a waddle growing. Not big like a grown chicken's though. The Cochin has a tiny flab, but no real waddle.
    Does this mean "Henryetta" is indeed "Henry"?

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    The red sex-link's comb was bigger? If it looks like the others, then it is a girl. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's no mistaking a Sex Link. That's why they call it a sex link. [​IMG] If she isn't red, yellow, or whatever color in between, but instead has a lot of white with red shoulders, she's a he. Otherwise, if she's the same reddish color as the others - She's just closer to laying eggs than the others.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup. [​IMG]

5. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Quote:I don't have other sex links. She's the only one.
    She looks like the chicken in my avatar.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My Golden Sex Links are about 4 months old. They are starting to look henly now and have wattles. The Girls get wattles too.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sex-Links are the most easily sexed chicks in the world. That's why they call them sex-links. If she looks like the one in your avatar, she's definitely a she. Her reddening comb and wattles indicate getting closer to maturity and to laying.

Sex-links are sexed by their feather color upon hatching. The males are a totally different color.

I have a black sex-link, who isn't black now at all, but she was the ONLY chick I absolutely knew was a pullet from the get-go.

8. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I have 25 RSL's 15 weeks old +/-. Most of them have nice size waddles and comb some are even laying. It is most likely a girl.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Like the others said, if she's a rsl then you have a girl. She's probably just much closer to laying then your other girls. One of my rsl's started laying at 16 weeks old and the other followed a week later. Both started laying much earlier then the rest of the flock. The comb/wattle development and change to red usually means they're very close to laying.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If your chicken has a waddle, it's a duck:lol:. If the comb and wattles on your red sex-link are developing, she is maturing and will lay shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by