16 week hen passed away! Why?

Thank you so much. I’m sorry for your loss as well.
Your scratch did not kill your pullet.

I have performed extensive research with my vet on sudden death from liver disease and what they eat has very little - if any (according to the studies), to do with it. In fact, they are in the process of changing the disease name from fatty liver hemorrhagic disease to liver hemorrhagic disease because upon necropsy, more than half of the chickens do not have a fatty liver. The truth is....from the experts, they still do not know the cause of liver hemorrhagic disease; however they do know some risk factors. Obesity is one...but a chicken can be obese just eating feed. The key to preventing sudden death from liver hemorrhagic disease is to treat the ones with the risk factors...white egg layers, layers in their peak of laying (1-4 years old), obese chickens, hens with thyroid disease, and during times of heat. When hens come into laying their liver structure changes to create yolk - and not for the good. Of course, because the egg industry has bred the hens to lay 200-280 eggs per year instead of the 20-30 they do a year in the wild, their livers pay the price.

I treat mine every other day with milk thistle and everyday with flaxseed.

Your scratch did not kill your pullet.

I have performed extensive research with my vet on sudden death from liver disease and what they eat has very little - if any (according to the studies), to do with it. In fact, they are in the process of changing the disease name from fatty liver hemorrhagic disease to liver hemorrhagic disease because upon necropsy, more than half of the chickens do not have a fatty liver. The truth is....from the experts, they still do not know the cause of liver hemorrhagic disease; however they do know some risk factors. Obesity is one...but a chicken can be obese just eating feed. The key to preventing sudden death from liver hemorrhagic disease is to treat the ones with the risk factors...white egg layers, layers in their peak of laying (1-4 years old), obese chickens, hens with thyroid disease, and during times of heat. When hens come into laying their liver structure changes to create yolk - and not for the good. Of course, because the egg industry has bred the hens to lay 200-280 eggs per year instead of the 20-30 they do a year in the wild, their livers pay the price.

I treat mine every other day with milk thistle and everyday with flaxseed.
Ya I knew it wasn’t my medicated feed or scratch I’ve had chickens my whole life but I’ve never had one drop dead except for my broiler chickens. Thank you for all your advice. It’s very helpful.

We had a hen die at around 20 weeks. Her name was Willow, a beautiful Gold-Laced Wyandotte and a great layer.
Almost the same issue as yours; she was fine that day, we watched her free-range and she was just acting normal, having fun. She was dead in her sleep the next morning. First (and only so far) death in our flock.
Sorry about your hen. It just happens sometimes. :hugs

We had a hen die at around 20 weeks. Her name was Willow, a beautiful Gold-Laced Wyandotte and a great layer.
Almost the same issue as yours; she was fine that day, we watched her free-range and she was just acting normal, having fun. She was dead in her sleep the next morning. First (and only so far) death in our flock.
Sorry about your hen. It just happens sometimes. :hugs
I’m sorry for your loss. I’ve never had that happen so I paniced a little thinking that what ever it was could pass to my other hens or maybe something I could prevent from losing more. But with everyone’s wonderful responses I feel at ease now.

I do not believe that she is too old for medicated feed.
How so?
The medication in medicated feed is amprollium, a thiamine (B1) inhibitor, B1 is essential for the the bodies use of food for energy, the nervous systems health and brain function and muscle development.
Medicated feed is usually only used the first few weeks then switched to non-medicated to avoid stunted birds.

Back
Top Bottom